Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   Radiator fan & AC Fan On 94' (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/radiator-fan-ac-fan-94-a-1784/)

daddy 01-31-2006 12:09 AM

RE: Radiator fan & AC Fan On 94'

Ok...replaced the thermostat with a geniune Honda one. Today the lower hose got hot which is good news I guess. The car stays cool even after 20+ minutes of driving. No boil over...BUT, the fans still do not work. Also put freon in the car today until is showed in the BLUE zone. Put it in while car was running, turned on fans switch and pushed AC button. Didn't do anything. Compreesser did not come on, no cold air and no FAN at the radiator on.

Where do we go from here Desert? Can we rule out the water pump now?

Also, I don't understand your method of bleeding...how can you get the air out of the system when the bleeder valve is past the thermostat, and naturally with car COLD, the thermo would be closed??? Please explain to me so I DO understand. Thanks.

peace out,
daddy

chakra71 01-31-2006 08:15 PM

I don't want to hijack this thread, but i'm having similiar problems!

Here's my deal. I just got my 94 lx about a month ago. It's got some issues, but it's a good car.

Yesterday my radiator fans stopped working alltogether. Today I jumped the switch on the thermostat sensor and the DRIVER's side fan only works. If I jump the switch on the front sensor (the one on the upper hose, NOT at the thermostat) the PASSENGER side fan works only.

I replaced both switches and now the driver's side fan works when the temp gets hot, and the passenger side fan works when the car is turned off and the temp is hot (it didn't do that before replacing the switch). The problem is that without both fans working the car gets too hot --- almost 2/3rds up the gauge before I turn it off.

Another peice of the puzzle... my AC does not work at all. When I turn on the AC button the light comes on, but the compressor does not engage and the fans do not come on.

Also, the thermostat seems good. Both hoses get hot and the temperature comes down when moving (indicating a good water pump, radiator, and thermostat). My issue seems to be primarily a fan problem.

So... anyone got a clue on what to try next?

deserthonda 02-02-2006 08:01 PM

ORIGINAL: daddy

Ok...replaced the thermostat with a geniune Honda one. Today the lower hose got hot which is good news I guess. The car stays cool even after 20+ minutes of driving. No boil over...BUT, the fans still do not work. Also put freon in the car today until is showed in the BLUE zone. Put it in while car was running, turned on fans switch and pushed AC button. Didn't do anything. Compreesser did not come on, no cold air and no FAN at the radiator on.

Also, I don't understand your method of bleeding...how can you get the air out of the system when the bleeder valve is past the thermostat, and naturally with car COLD, the thermo would be closed??? Please explain to me so I DO understand. Thanks.

peace out,
daddy
you can rule out the water pump,, fans are still inop eh ?? when you jump the switch at t-stat fans come on right ?? have you checked the fan relay in the underhood fuse box ??
As for bleeding it, air will rise, when you fill the tubes with coolant any air in the system will go to the top and get out of the bleeder screw, when only coolant comes out , all the air in system is gone..
As for the a/c compressor not coming on,, chk to see if you getting power at a/c compressor wire ( red ) . if not,, put battery voltage to the wire and see if compressor kicks on, ...also,, ground a wire at rec drier see if fans come on with a/c on..

deserthonda 02-02-2006 08:01 PM

ORIGINAL: daddy

peace out,
daddy
you can rule out the water pump,, fans are still inop eh ?? when you jump the switch at t-stat fans come on right ?? have you checked the fan relay in the underhood fuse box ??
As for bleeding it, air will rise, when you fill the tubes with coolant any air in the system will go to the top and get out of the bleeder screw, when only coolant comes out , all the air in system is gone..
As for the a/c compressor not coming on,, chk to see if you getting power at a/c compressor wire ( red ) . if not,, put battery voltage to the wire and see if compressor kicks on, ...also,, ground a wire at rec drier see if fans come on with a/c on..

daddy 02-03-2006 11:42 PM

Ok...jumped the wires at Rec drier with the car on and the fans came on and so did the AC compressor. So, I added some more freon and then the AC worked on it's own??? How does that work? Then I heard the big "hissssssssssssssssss"....a leak coming from one of the aluminum lines...my freon is leaking out. By the time I left work, my AC was not working again. Well, what is this going to cost me to replace that line (or have it welded) and can I assume that will END my fan problem (I still did not get to find out if the fans come on when the car gets hot)

Ok desert...Next plan of attack?

peace out,
daddy

deserthonda 02-04-2006 01:48 AM

ok daddy now we know why your A/C does not work ..you got a leak, which means , system will not hold freon , without freon a/c will not work.......you need to replace the leaky line ,put freon and freon dye , turn a/c on and hope for no more leaks............As for the cost ,, there is more than one a/c line , you have to call the dealer and ask for price ..

As for the fans coming on regularly,, start the car up and let engine warm up, make sure t-stat opens. which you said it did because lower radiator hose now is hot,, so, let engine run and see if fans will kick on..... if they do you are all set........if they do not, jump the wires at the plug at t-stat housing ,

let me know what happens..

chakra71 02-04-2006 06:45 PM

I'll post some more info I found today. I did some digging and came up with a possible dirty/dying relay. The picture below will help.

When I pulled the ones marked 23 and jumped the thermostat switch, only the driver's side fan worked.

When I plug in the front one (closest to bumper) no change from above.

If I swapped the two relays then BOTH fans worked. So I went to the store to get a new one, had some trouble finding it because it is not actually the fan relay. Advance Auto Parts found it and gave me the part # 18970865. They didn't have any on hand but they ordered one for me.

So I went back home, and tested again. This time I got these results:
Both relays out of car: driver's side fan only.
Front relay installed: no change, driver's side only.
EITHER relay in the rear slot: BOTH fans worked.

Odd... makes me think the contact was dirty, which is possible due to my fuse box cover not sealing well. So I took the car out, let it get warmed up and then waited to see if the fans came on. And they did, well before half-way on the temp gauge. So all is working now, right?

WRONG! I waited to see if they would cycle again and they didnt. The temp gauge went up to over half-way and no fans came on. I turned the car off and the passenger side fan came on, as normal.

So now I think I have a bad thermostat that's failing. I checked the lower hose and it was signifigantly cooler than the top hose. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, or maybe it's stuck. I'll try to replace it tomorrow and report any updates.

So Daddy, check your relays!

[IMG]local://upfiles/2828/DDE14C69993B493ABF7A38D8AF4158DC.gif[/IMG]

daddy 02-04-2006 07:05 PM

Hey Chakra!!! Thanks for the info, but here is what I did. First I jumped the thermostat switch with a paperclip (you won't get shocked because it is all negative) and car on. BOTH fans came on. This tells me that my fan motors are fine and my relays at the fan are fine AND that it is hooked up correctly. I then jumped the reciever drier with a paperclip again, turned car AND AC on and both fans came on and my AC clutch engaged. That made for great news. Then I tested the main relays in the fuse box under the hood. I just swapped out the fan one with the window relay (they are the same) and tested my windows. They went up and down, so I know that BOTH my relays are good (fans and windows). So, like I said in my last post, I heard a leak in the AC line, so I KNOW I have that problem to fix which I don't mind. Whether my fans will come on now or not (when my car heats up) I still have not tested, but after all this I am going to assume that once I have the AC line repaired, that all my fans are going to work...I hope. I will keep ya posted

BTW...Deserthonda...thank you so much for your time bro. It means alot when someone takes the time that you do to help all the people that you help everyday in here...and Lightshow too. You guys rock. Just so you know, it is appreciated by all.

peace out,
daddy

chakra71 02-06-2006 02:52 AM

Well, I replaced my thermostat last night and now my cooling problems are solved. Both fans work, temp stays at that Honda sweet spot, and everything looks good. Thanks to all for the info posted, it was a big help.

... now just need to solve my own AC problems....