General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Slight clunking from front suspension

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 10:19 PM
Default Slight clunking from front suspension

Hi there-

I'm having a slight problem... when ever I go over ever so slightly unlevel road (think uneven blacktop in an apartment parking lot) I get what seems to be rattling noises and some clunking from my front suspension. On some of the more uneven ground I can "feel" the clunk with my clutch foot when it's on the foot rest. I threw a new set of Sway Bar Bushings on tonight to no avail. She has new brake pads all around as of May so I don't think it's that as it's been doing it since I bought it last fall.

Any thoughts on what to check? I'm no mechanic but I'm armed with a Haynes manual so I'm in the "slightly dangerous" category. It doesn't seem to be a major problem, more of an annoyance than anything else.

Thanks!

Old 07-09-2006, 09:29 PM
Default RE: Slight clunking from front suspension

Ok, I went out yesterday and did my best to limit where the sound is coming from. When I push down on the front, over any of the wheels/shock absorber columns I can hear the clunk on the side I'm pushing on. I got underneath the car and pushed up the frame and didn't hear anything, so it's only happening when it goes down. This is a one man job; I can't get any closer to "the sound" and I'm not sure where to begin. It sounds like it's coming from somewhere in the column of parts that the shock absorber is in. Any thoughts on how to check on this?

Old 07-10-2006, 02:35 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

might be a strut or a bushing. could also be an axle

Old 07-10-2006, 05:18 AM

hmmm. ok well how does it ride otherwise. when you go over speed bumps does it go over them with prowess or does it jar you so hard that you think the dash is going to pop off.

does it make the noise when you turn the wheels at all?

when you push down on it does it do it on both sides or just one?

when your pushing down on it does the noise happen at a certain point ie. do you have to push it down a certain amount to get the noise, or does it appear that the noise happens at a very specific point in the suspension travel.

Old 07-10-2006, 11:52 PM

It rides fine, very smooth. We have speed bumps in my complex and there are no problems going over them (aside from the noise).

As far as turning the wheel I'm not aware of any time that it has done it. It only happens when the car goes down. When I push down on one side that's the side that makes the noise, but each side will do it. It seems to happen at a certain point in the travel, probably about 1/3 to 1/2 the distance I can push down the front with all of my weight.

Old 07-11-2006, 02:07 AM
Administrator

I think you need to replace your Strut Bearing Plates..look at them when you press down on the fender to see if you can see if the bolt holes are elongated..

WheelbrokerAng

ORIGINAL: locovaca

It rides fine, very smooth. We have speed bumps in my complex and there are no problems going over them (aside from the noise).

As far as turning the wheel I'm not aware of any time that it has done it. It only happens when the car goes down. When I push down on one side that's the side that makes the noise, but each side will do it. It seems to happen at a certain point in the travel, probably about 1/3 to 1/2 the distance I can push down the front with all of my weight.

Old 07-11-2006, 07:34 PM

Pardon my ignorance, but where would the Strut Bearing Plate be? I looked it up on the Library's auto repair manual and in my Haynes manual and didn't see anything. In the Haynes manual they have a Dust Cover Plate and a Bump Stop plate on the shock absorber/coil spring assembly (pg 10-5)- is it one of those?

Old 07-11-2006, 11:43 PM

most people have given you some sound advice.......as you know it is next to impossible to help people over the net with noises.. one almost has to be there..
chk all the frt suspension components, make sure nothing is lose or worn, get a big screwdriver and pry on suspension parts see if any one has too much play .. but it sounds like a strut to me as well..

Old 08-24-2006, 08:26 PM

I got underneath tonight (finally) and took off and reattached the sway bar, during which I found one of the sway bar links was loose. Reattaching and tightening everything fixed everything.