Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   Rat Living In My Car ! (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/rat-living-my-car-66346/)

hmr 12-10-2018 09:06 AM

Rat Living In My Car !

I own a 2000 Honda Accord EX sedan, A/T, 4 cylinder. At least one rat is living in my car. I set traps in the upper engine compartment and there is no evidence that the rat has been into that area. The couple of times that I've spotted him he has been on the passenger underside of the engine. Can a rat get into the cabin filter area in this car ? If so, would he enter from the underside or would he have to go higher up in the engine area to enter ? Where else could he be ? It must be a secure area because all of the driving hasn't discouraged him. Any input would be appreciated.

JimBlake 12-10-2018 07:55 PM

Look in your engine air-filter box, they love to shred that up & build a nest.

I can think of a couple ways into the ventilation system, but they don't seem reasonable...
1. Air enters through small-ish openings in the plastic cowling under the windshield wipers. Open the hood & look around that entire area. Rat would have to chew a hole through that plastic pan, because the openings aren't big enough.
2. There's a rubber drain hose somewhere under there, for rainwater that comes in through those openings. Again, probably not big enough for him to crawl in.
3. Another drain hose from the AC evaporator case, to drain condensate from the cold AC core. Still too small...

hmr 12-11-2018 09:23 AM

Thanks for the reply Jim. Here's the overnight update : I parked my car in the garage last night. I put out 4 Tomcat green poison blocks. One near each tire. This morning the poison block near the left rear tire is gone. Also, there are droppings on the garage floor under the rear of the car. No evidence that the rat(s) entered the engine compartment.

UhOh 12-11-2018 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by hmr (Post 383413)
I put out 4 Tomcat green poison blocks. One near each tire. This morning the poison block near the left rear tire is gone. Also, there are droppings on the garage floor under the rear of the car.

Wheee, way to go; hope that guy is gone!

hmr 12-11-2018 06:04 PM

I really hate having to resort to poison blocks. But, what else can you do ? All other non-lethal attempts were defeated. And, all the while you've got one or more rats running wild in your car tearing it up ! My neighbor got hit, also. $1000 to repair damaged engine wiring and a chewed up fuel line.

JimBlake 12-11-2018 07:25 PM

Get a cat!

Or, people have told me you can buy dried bobcat urine or something like that at some garden stores. Might work around your car or around your parking spot?

The Toecutter 12-12-2018 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake (Post 383427)
Get a cat!

Or, people have told me you can buy dried bobcat urine or something like that at some garden stores. Might work around your car or around your parking spot?

Yup, we've got an outdoor cat that keeps catching field mice (small rats) before they even get into the house. She also has caught a couple of birds and 2 red squirrels so far.
OP, do you have a vacant house in your neighborhood? If so, that where they are coming from. At first I was thinking you gave them a ride home. But, since your neighbor got hit too, you've got them in the neighborhood. A friend of mines son had them jumping (climbing) a 4 ft wall from the grocery store behind him.

hmr 12-13-2018 09:20 AM

Now waiting to see if I can determine where they went to die ( odor ). Nothing yet. BTW, I read that newer cars have eco-friendly soy-based wiring insulation. The rats love the taste of it and if they get into your engine compartment they will do extensive damage.

The Toecutter 12-13-2018 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by hmr (Post 383438)
Now waiting to see if I can determine where they went to die ( odor ). Nothing yet. BTW, I read that newer cars have eco-friendly soy-based wiring insulation. The rats love the taste of it and if they get into your engine compartment they will do extensive damage.

Yup, I've heard that too. I've also seen the kind of damage they do as well.

JimBlake 12-13-2018 04:55 PM

Not just newer cars. Late 1980s Saabs were legendary for tasty wiring.