Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   Removing shifter cables? (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/removing-shifter-cables-52415/)

BboyWaste 01-16-2013 05:08 AM

Removing shifter cables?

hey guys i stopped by here to try and gain a bit of knowledge from you guys. im no mechanic but i am a do it yourself kind of person and i have done some simple problems like fuel pumps, alternators, bad grounds, and changing a suspension... but now i got this 94 accord and i need to replace my shifter and selector cables. i have limited tools and no experience dealing with it before. if someone could give me a step by step or atleast point me in the right direction that would help me out alot. i could just bring it to the transmissions garage but they told me 550 to replace it and that sounds over priced to me. thanks in advance ! :D
[edit]
[its a standard transmission by the way]

live2rice 01-16-2013 05:19 AM

Welcome. Can't go into step by step but its a real pain to replace the shifter cables in accords. Disconnecting them from either end isn't too hard but getting them all fed through can be trouble.

BboyWaste 01-16-2013 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by live2rice (Post 308248)
Welcome. Can't go into step by step but its a real pain to replace the shifter cables in accords. Disconnecting them from either end isn't too hard but getting them all fed through can be trouble.

thats exactly where im stuck. they are disconnected from both sides but im at a standstill now

JimBlake 01-16-2013 07:53 AM

I'm moving this over to General Tech.

This new-user area is really just for welcome & introduction postings.

BboyWaste 01-16-2013 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake (Post 308258)
I'm moving this over to General Tech.

This new-user area is really just for welcome & introduction postings.

ok thanks. if anyone who has prior expirience replacing the shifter cables could give me some advice i would be in debt to you

JimBlake 01-17-2013 07:53 AM

2 Attachment(s)
The parts picture doesn't help too much, but it shows some kind of bracket in the middle of the cable.

BboyWaste 01-20-2013 01:18 PM

i have looked at this diagram 100 times and it still doesnt help me feed the cable through... :( i wish i was more car savvy

JimBlake 01-20-2013 06:57 PM

Well, yeah, that's what I meant about the parts drawing not being much help. It's really just for the purpose of an on-line parts catalog. A shop manual should have diagrams of how to get them out.

BboyWaste 01-31-2013 04:15 PM

i gave in, i had the car towed to a local transmissions shop.... $450 for the cables and $220 for labor plus taxes... just curious would anyone here in the connecticut area do the job for me at a lower cost?

Chad Cornmesser 01-01-2019 11:02 PM

Research=knowledge=power

Originally Posted by BboyWaste (Post 309887)
i gave in, i had the car towed to a local transmissions shop.... $450 for the cables and $220 for labor plus taxes... just curious would anyone here in the connecticut area do the job for me at a lower cost?

I Googled how to change shifter cables on a 99 Accord 2 days ago watch the YouTube video for 20 minutes had it done in an hour I am not a mechanic a little bit mechanically inclined but by no means professional professional mechanic equals $50 an hour 2 days prior well actually a week prior I Google. Automatic transmission shifter cable for 99 Accord found one on eBay $65 got it in 3 days total cost labor and parts $115 in other words had you spent 5 minutes researching on the internet you would have saved $555 I'm not saying this to poke fun or disrespect only offer my successful experience as inspiration for how to start next DIY project