General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Another A/C problem thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 02:23 PM
Default Another A/C problem thread

Hello,

My wife drives an '03 Accord EX Coupe and last week complained that the A/C was blowing hot hair. I went to Autozone to borrow the manifold gauges and with the system static (Ignition Off) I was getting super high pressure on the LOW side (needle all the way to the right) and the HIGH side was around 120 PSI. I was suspecting the it could be a blockage on the expansion valve. My compressor it's not turning and wanted to see how to make sure that the clutch is good. I bought the service manual from automanualsource.

I needed some advice on how to approach this problem (troubleshoot). I see from the SM on the System Troubleshooting Index where it says " A/C compressor clutch does not engage. Both fans run with A/C on." I guess I can start there. Any other tip or recommendation on this problem? I'll appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Edgar

Old 07-16-2012, 06:44 PM

It is down to checking the clearance between pulley and pressure and also to check resistance on the field coil. So far the field coil is showing open from connector to housing of the compressor. I have not tried the "tap on the pressure plate" tip.

Old 07-16-2012, 07:38 PM
Super Moderator

On some compressors, there is a bolt/screw from the coil to the housing that you may want to unbolt and clean with a wire brush.

Have you verified that you are getting 12V to the compressor with the engine running and a/c turned on?

Also, when the system is idle, the high and low pressure side will be equal. What is the temperature where you live right now?

Old 07-16-2012, 08:14 PM

Thanks PAhonda for taking the time to respond. I'm in Texas and the temp. right now is around 90 degrees. I need to verify if I'm getting 12V at the compressor with engine running and A/C on. If that is not the case, it would indicate that the A/C compressor clutch relay is bad. I tested the relay with battery voltage and it is clicking and also continuity from the relay socket to the compressor connector is good.

EDIT: I just checked voltage on the compressor plug (socket side) and measured ~14V with engine and A/C running.

Last edited by Samaritano; 07-16-2012 at 08:23 PM. Reason: add info
Old 07-16-2012, 09:53 PM

If you apply battery voltage to the compressor coil, does the clutch engage?

Old 07-17-2012, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by EXV6NIGHTHAWK
If you apply battery voltage to the compressor coil, does the clutch engage?
I tried doing that according to the SM and all I saw was a bunch of sparks flying.
I placed a jumper wire between the compressor clutch connector and the negative terminal on the battery and from the housing of the compressor to the positive terminal and sparks went off. Should I go from the plug to body ground?

Old 07-17-2012, 04:21 PM

Just run one wire from the positive (red) side of the battery, to the wire connector on the compressor coil. The compressor should be grounded, if the negative side of the battery is hooked up to the car, and the compressor is bolted to the engine.. You were connecting the positive to ground (compressor housing), that will definitely make some sparks. Make sure the car still has battery power, you could have blown the battery fuse.

Last edited by EXV6NIGHTHAWK; 07-17-2012 at 04:41 PM.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:22 PM

Thanks Nighthawk. I took a jumper wire from the positive terminal ( I checked for voltage on my meter) to the compressor clutch plug and nothing happens. Am I supposed to hear a click? I'm trying to loose that ground screw on the housing but it is a bitch. I just sprayed some liquid wrench on it to see if it loosens up. If I can get resistance from the coil after cleaning the ground terminal then it should be the gap between the clutch plate and pulley, right?

Old 07-17-2012, 06:32 PM

Resistance check between plug and ground screw, after removing and cleaning with sand paper the screw and the plate, none. Wide open. Is it a bad coil then?

Old 07-17-2012, 07:36 PM
Super Moderator

Do that same resistance test between the electrical connector and the body of the compressor. The reading should be around 3.9 to 4.3 ohms, so make sure you have the scale set properly on your meter.

Quick Reply: Another A/C problem thread