General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem with SRS air bag light ???

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 05:09 PM
JJC
Newest Of Newbies
Default Problem with SRS air bag light ???

I got a 96 Honda Accord, 4-cyl, VTEC, Auto. The SRS Air Bag light keep coming on at times, some times staying on after starting, goes off when it likes and back on. Some times stays off for days, then just comes on for a time, then off. I was told to jump the BLUE check eng mode/terminal, located under the glove box, but this did nothing. (I have a drawing of the SRS dash lay-out BUT it want let me download it here due to size, its in Adobe) All the info on you- tube says to jump the yellow port on the driver side by the fuse box (I haven't tried that one yet). Any body out there have info on this year and model for sure?
Thanks for all help

Old 07-17-2012, 07:24 PM
Super Moderator

Do not jump the yellow MES port on the drivers side. That is to erase the memory.

Turn the key to the II position, but do not try to start the car. Does the SRS light turn on for a few seconds for a bulb check?

Turn the car off and wait a few minutes. Short the blue two-pin connector under the glove box. Turn the key on. The SRS light should turn on for about 6 seconds, then start flashing codes. Also, the check engine light should be turn on and not blinking.

Let us know what you find.

Old 07-18-2012, 05:43 PM
JJC
Newest Of Newbies

OK, thanks for the info on the yellow MES port on the drivers side, that is to erase the memory, I have not AND will not fool with that for sure. Thanks for that part.

You ask about... turning the key to the II position, but do not try to start the car. Does the SRS light turn on for a few seconds for a bulb check? YES it does go out most of the time BUT sometimes it stays on and does not go out even after the eng. starts????? OTHER times it comes on just driving down the road????? Goes out when it wants to???? I call it the SRS light from HELL!

I will go try your info on shorting the 2pin connector under the glove box AND will let you know asap. Please stand by.....

Old 07-18-2012, 06:26 PM
JJC
Newest Of Newbies

Just return from the test just as info stated to do, here is what happen: The SRS light stays on, does not flash at all. The ck eng light stays on and does not flash.

The ABS light when off then flashed 1 then 8 more. It did this 2 times then stayed off.

The question now comes to be, does the ABS interact with the SRS system????

I did the test 2 times and got the same thing.

The SRS (without the blue 2 pin connector in) does cycle on then goes off in the pre-test. But with the 2 pin in the SRS does not go out OR flash. ???????

Old 07-18-2012, 07:37 PM
Super Moderator

The ABS and SRS lights are not related.

So did the SRS light turn on for about 6 seconds, turn off, then turn back on?

Old 07-18-2012, 08:08 PM
JJC
Newest Of Newbies

NO... The short answer to "So did the SRS light turn on for about 6 seconds, turn off, then turn back on? NO
When I turned on the sw (after putting pin in blue plug) the SRS NEVER went off. Both the ck eng light AND the SRS lights stayed on.

Can u tell me what the ABS flashes mean 1 - 8? Thanks