Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   Which repair manual do you prefer? (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/repair-manual-do-you-prefer-8524/)

00AccordLX5spd 03-29-2007 04:41 PM

Which repair manual do you prefer?

Which repair manuals do you guys prefer. Haynes? Chilton? Any others better? I bought a Chilton for the my 95, but my 98 is really the car a want to "play" with.

sir_nasty 03-29-2007 05:01 PM

RE: Which repair manual do you prefer?

Personally I look for the one that's more model specific to my car.... meaning some of them will try and include 4 different makes/models of vehicles over like 5 years since they all have similar engines and that just makes things a pain (especially wiring diagrams which I hate as it is...)

kornfox 03-29-2007 05:19 PM

Ive always been a fan of Haynes rather than Chiltons. It seems to be more informational and has a smoother process. Just my 2 cents.

Shadow1992 03-29-2007 05:22 PM

I always liked Haynes just for general knowledge. But if it's something you want to 'play' with, I would get several different kinds as well as seeign if I can get the Honda service manuals dealers use. The more sources of info you have the better.

00AccordLX5spd 03-29-2007 05:46 PM

Yeah I was leaning more toward Haynes. I was not all that impressed with the Chilton I bought for the 95 - not model specific as sir_nasty said. It is for late 80's to 95 AccordsAND Preludes. The only reason I bought it was because I wanted it that day and I couldn't find a Haynes. I think I am going to order a Haynes to begin with. Try to skim most of it. Then I may look into the manuals dealers use if I feel like there is more I want to know that I couldn't find in the Haynes.

PAhonda 03-29-2007 06:27 PM

I would vote for Haynes too, but nothing can beat the detail from the Honda shop manual specific for your car.

JimBlake 03-30-2007 02:18 AM

The best ones are from www.helminc.com- Haynes or Chilton are no comparison..

WheelBrokerAng 03-30-2007 02:48 AM

*JimBlake has one of the best there that he linked up for you.
I personally use AllData.com for my working knowledge.
Info is correct and you cant beat the pictures and there feedback to your questions...*

WheelBrokerAng [sm=bounceybounce.gif]

deserthonda 03-30-2007 03:45 AM

ORIGINAL: JimBlake

The best ones are from www.helminc.com- Haynes or Chilton are no comparison..

Totally agree with Jim,,,,,,helm is the one that is used at dealerships,, also you should buy the ETM ( electrical troubleshooting manual ) from helm inc as well ,,if you plan on doing a lot of work yourself

00AccordLX5spd 03-30-2007 11:55 AM

Thanks guys for your input. I actually went to AutoZone last night to buy a new battery and serpentine belts for the 95 Accord. While I was there I went ahead & picked up a Haynes for my 2000 Accord. I already like it better than the Chilton I bought for the 95.
I will probably order a Helm online in the near future as I have not seen any in stores around here.

JimBlake 03-30-2007 02:59 PM

I've never seen a Helm book in a store. But I've seen them in public libraries...

Haynes is OK for a lot of simple stuff. It's more than adequate to give you an idea of the repair procedure so you can talk intelligently to your mechanic.

But if YOU are the mechanic and you're doing something complicated, or troubleshooting the electrical system, the Helm has way more detail.

deserthonda 03-30-2007 09:07 PM

return the haynes manual and get the Helm manual

EXV6NIGHTHAWK 05-18-2011 05:11 PM

HandAaccessories.com should have the Helm manual. I have to warn you though, it's not $20 like the haynes manual, more like $70.