Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   Replace/fix EGR Valve, variable timing valve cam solenoid, flex pipe (exhaust) (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/replace-fix-egr-valve-variable-timing-valve-cam-solenoid-flex-pipe-exhaust-44440/)

archangel_1988 12-13-2011 07:05 PM

Replace/fix EGR Valve, variable timing valve cam solenoid, flex pipe (exhaust)

Hey guys,

I have a 1998 Honda Accord LX (sedan) 4cyl automatic. Just bought the car 2 months ago when some guy in an M5 took out my Nissan Sentra on Rt. 73. Car rode fine for first month, no problems. Then check engine light came on.

Got following codes:
P0302 – Cylinder 2 Misfire detected
P0303 - Cylinder 2 Misfire detected
P0304 - Cylinder 2 Misfire detected
P0300, P1399 – Random misfire
MIL ON – manufacture indicator lamp on
MISFIRE
EGR

So after I got this news and did some research, took my car to mechanic. THought he was just gonna have to replace spark plugs/distributor (basic tune up).
He came back with estimate for $900:

Replace EGR valve ($300)
Variable timing valve cam solenoid ($267)
Replace flex pipe in exhaust ($100)
3 hours labor ($85/hr)

So that's waaaay too much money, so now I'm here. I am a college student, and can probably do this stuff myself. Just need some directions. Looked for some of the parts online, found the EGR valve for $80 (big difference from 300). I used to go to a different mechanic (family friend) and he was always inexpensive (or at least I felt like I wasn't getting ripped off). But he went out of business. So is this guy ripping me off and can anyone help me with directions or tell me if this stuff would be within my ability to do?

Thanks,
Mike

archangel_1988 12-13-2011 07:08 PM

Oh also, now my oil light has come on and flashes on and off while I'm driving. checked oil and adding more, checked again, oil on dipstick is black, wtf? and the mechanic said the head of my engine had been changed. what does that mean? I'm assuming he means the top part that covers the cylinders??

PAhonda 12-13-2011 11:34 PM

I moved your thread to a better forum for you to get answers (gen tech help).

If you plan on doing DIY work, I would buy a shop manual. I bought one on automanualsource.com as a pdf for $21.99 and it is worth every penny for DIY work.

The most important item is the oil pressure light. Is the oil level low? Do you see signs of oil leaking? Is there oil caked on the engine block? If you are consuming oil, I would consider getting a new pcv valve. It may be a good idea to change the oil right now.

I would replace the spark plugs, distributor cap, and distributor rotor. If the mechanic didn't replace these already. Get the NGK plugs that are listed in the owner's or the shop manual. I would suggest picking up the distributor cap and rotor from the honda dealership. Check that there is no oil inside of the distributor. They are more expensive at the dealership, but last longer.

I'm not so sure that your EGR valve is bad. The codes don't really indicate an EGR valve problem. It wouldn't hurt to clean out the EGR port. We can give you more details if you need them.

What the mechanic said about the cylinder head of the engine was changed. This could have been due to a failed head gasket, bent valves from a broken timing belt, and a host of other possibilities. I wonder how the mechanic knew that it was changed.

WheelBrokerAng 12-13-2011 11:43 PM

You were about to get ripped off for sure..find a low cost..pay me cash mechanic at one of your local Advance or AutoZone stores...

WheelBrokerAng :)