General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replace fuel filter ’97 V6

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 10:13 PM
Default Replace fuel filter ’97 V6

I’ve found info on replacing the fuel filter on 4 cylinder models but not the V6. In the shop manual it says to relive the pressure by loosening a special fitting near the fuel rail area. Can you just place a rag over the banjo fitting on top of the fuel filter to catch the excess fuel when you unbolt this banjo fitting?

Also, can you use any fuel pressure gauge tester on this special fitting? I was a a store and the fuel pressure gauge tester showed that it worked only on domestic cars.

Old 05-03-2011, 10:40 PM
Super Moderator

You can relieve some pressure by removing the gas cap. You can do the rag over the banjo bolt, just make sure the engine is cold when you do this.

As for the fitting, hondas have a special adapter that you need to test the fuel pressure, and it does not have the standard schrader valve. This is a stupid move by honda IMO. At some point, I posted on how to make your own pressure gauge. You will have to search for that writeup.

Old 05-06-2011, 06:23 PM

I picked up a NAPA Gold fuel filter that cost almost as much as the Honda. I went about installing it. All went well. Afterwards I turn the key on and wait a few seconds and no leaks. I start the car and I notice how smooth the engine was running then I check and see fuel leaking from the top banjo connector.

I release the pressure and remove the banjo connector and notice I inadvertently placed the two new washers together on the banjo bolt. I remove one and place it on the fuel filter, Now I have one washer on top and bottom of the banjo connector. I turn the key on and it still leaks.

On the Honda filter (lighter color) it has a depression that the washer sits in. On the NAPA filter (black) it doesn’t. The filter neck where the banjo adapter connects sticks up. There is no place for the washer to sit. This is where is leaking. Is it the NAPA filter or I’m I doing something wrong? See photos.

Attached Thumbnails -honda-fuel-filter.jpg   -napa-furl-filter.jpg  
Old 05-06-2011, 06:58 PM
Super Moderator

Maybe the NAPA filter doesn't need a washer between the filter and the eyelet?

Old 05-06-2011, 07:43 PM
Super Moderator

I'd use the gasket/washer....what is the part number on the NAPA filter?

Then you might think about knocking the paint off the surface where the gasket/washer seats on the filter....

Old 05-06-2011, 08:36 PM

I originaly had placed both washers on top of the eyelet and none between the eyelet and filter. This filter came with 3 brass washers. Two were the same size as came off the original filter and the other also brass was about half the size. I could not see were the small one went so left it out.

The NAPA # 3559

Old 05-09-2011, 04:33 PM

I called up NAPA and explained the problem with the filter. They agreed to give me a refund even though the filter had been used. When there at NAPA I showed them the difference in the filters.

I had someone pick up a Honda fuel filter at a dealer. The Honda filter is a painted deep black beauty that was heavier than the NAPA one. Each end is capped with a plastic red cap.

However, the top fitting is a bear metal with a washer “seat” built in to the fitting were the banjo connector attaches as in the original filter in the car. Compare this to the NAPA filter that had a raised painted area and no where for the washer to properly seat.

I installed the Honda filter and let the car run for about 15 minutes. Only at the end of this time did I see a very small leak at the banjo connector. I turned off the car re-tighten the nut and no more leaks. The car runs better than before though mpg is still a little low.

Attached Thumbnails -honda-fuel-filter-bk-1.jpg   -honda-fuel-filter-bk-2.jpg   -honda-fuel-filter-bk-3.jpg