Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   replacement oil plug (03 Accord V6 EX) (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/replacement-oil-plug-03-accord-v6-ex-66242/)

fixinmyself 11-01-2018 04:15 PM

replacement oil plug (03 Accord V6 EX)

So i'm resuming the needed service on my 2003 Accord EX V6 and it's time to do the first oil change...

...and as near as I can tell the last @#($ must've put it on with an air wrench.

Is there anything specific (ie magnetic plug) and is this supposed to use crush washers the way the transmission drain plug did? Whats the replacement for this little piece? It's coming off with a vise grip, a 6 point socket has already stripped it.

...and if the previous place damaged the oil pan with how tight it was, will that show up right away or do I have to watch like a hawk for future drips now or/and be worried about replacing the oil pan if it drips later? :-/

Seanjordan20 11-01-2018 07:15 PM

I wouldn't say there is a specific plug for unless you want to buy a Honda plug or reuse the plug that comes out of it. Yes there is a crush washer for it that is easily had on Amazon with a quick search. I personally use the EZ oil drain valve so I wouldn't have keep unloosing the bolt for an oil drain also available on Amazon. If it's not leaking now there is no reason it will be leaking after the replacement unless they used lock tight and that's a different story.

JimBlake 11-02-2018 06:28 AM

The crush washer is something like $0.50 at the dealer. Genuine drain plug is about $10.

I'm sure you can find a drain plug at any of the chain car-parts stores, if you want to save a couple bucks. Sometimes those have a plastic or fiber washer; you can toss that & use the aluminum crush washer.

Jet sitter 11-02-2018 10:41 AM

Replace it with a Fumoto valve and never have to use a wrench again.

jng15 09-12-2019 03:10 PM

Hi all, I own a 2005 Honda Accord EX V6 and would like to know what the correct part/size of the oil drain plug washer should be? I checked online and it states a 14mm washer, part# 94109-14000. However, when I was changing my engine oil for the first time instead of going to a mechanic last week, I realized the oil drain bolt took an 18mm socket (instead of 14mm) and hence the washer is was bigger as well (I assume it is also 18mm). The 14mm washers clearly did not fit as Honda said it would. Did Honda confuse the specs with the V4 models or something? I looked all over the internet and the only 18mm washer, part# 90471-PX4-000 is for the transmission oil plug. Would this work for the oil drain bolt as well? Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Seanjordan20 09-12-2019 03:18 PM

I don't know where the 18 MM came from. It should be a 14 MM.

jng15 09-12-2019 03:28 PM

I have a theory that maybe during one of my previous oil changes, one of the mechanics might have swapped it out or something. I don't seem to understand any other reason why the oil drain bolt would be of a different size.

Seanjordan20 09-12-2019 03:36 PM

That's usually what happens they misplace it and put a different in. All Honda's I've worked on has 14MM drain plugs

JimBlake 09-12-2019 04:15 PM

14mm thread size is not the same as 14mm wrench size. And washer size is normally given by the inside diameter.

jng15 09-26-2019 10:33 PM

Help fixing Oil Leak from Drain Bolt & Washer!

Hi all,

I drive a 2005 Honda Accord EX V6.

So I decided to change the engine oil myself for the first time a few weeks ago. By that, I meant not going to the mechanic so I went to a friend's place since he had the tools and ramp to help do the job. When it came time to remove the drain bolt, I realized that it took an 18mm socket instead of the 14mm socket, as should the Honda OEM bolt ( part # 90009-R70-A00 ). Therefore, the washer that I found on the bolt was larger in size as well (see attached image). I bought a pack of OEM 14mm drain plug washers ( part # 94109-14000 ) that consequently did not fit the bolt. This baffled me, and made me thought I purchased the incorrect washers but I checked with Honda and that was the correct part. When I came to my senses, I could only assume that one of the mechanics during the past oil changes, must have lost/swapped out the 14mm OEM bolt and washer with the 18mm bolt and washer. I ended up reusing the bolt and washer to complete the oil change.

A week or so later, I noticed a small oil leak under the engine bay and was able to put the car up on a ramp to check it out. The leak was coming from the bolt and washer. If you zoom in on the picture I attached, you can see that the bolt and washer is not threaded evenly, a little skew.

I thought about a few options:
1. Replacing the bolt and washer with the 14mm OEM bolt and washer, but that might not work since the bigger 18mm bolt has been threaded into the oil pan.
2. Replace the oil pan, but I do not really want to do so unless it's the only way.
3. Leave it as is. While it is not major oil leak, it still bothers me to know there is a leak.

My question is what is the best approach in fixing this issue without unnecessary spending and headache? I would prefer to do the fix myself, if possible.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

-James

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hon...c6764f9766.jpg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hon...e49f218a74.png
don't know if you can zoom in so I attached this as well.