General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

'94 Accord EX: Rear Hard Brake Line Question

Old 03-20-2015, 09:04 AM
Default '94 Accord EX: Rear Hard Brake Line Question

So yesterday my g/f called me and said, "I have no brakes!" Scary moment for her to say the least. Of course I immediately said put the car in park and cease driving it. When I showed up I crawled under her and found the long hard line that goes to the rear driver wheel sprung a leak. I pulled her into the garage and started ripping off the plastic covers guarding those lines and all seemed easy to get UNTIL I traced that hard line to the front of the car. Right as the line curved under the car to go up towards the master cylinder I lost track of it. Can anyone help me make sense of where the rear driver side hard line connects to? I'm stumped!

Old 03-20-2015, 09:08 AM

Here is the diagram that shows the 2 hard lines going to the rear...

Name:  brakes_zpsscc78gop.png
Views: 3389
Size:  116.9 KB

Old 03-20-2015, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Looks like both rear lines connect to "4-way joint". Entire item 29 is "4-way joint assy". Appears to include a bracket that attaches assy to body.

good luck

Old 03-20-2015, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator

Wow, on another site there was someone with a code 10 and 14 and it made me remember your "re-build" thread where the connectors got switched.....

Hope things have been well....I'll assume they have since you haven't had to post in some time.

Sorry - not really a post to add help as TX already did that

Old 03-21-2015, 12:49 AM

Thanks fellas! Poorman, you're exactly right about the car and quiet on posts Quiet but my friends such as you, never forgotten! The car has been running great and made it through the record cold northeast temps. She now has 220 and a half on her and runs like a beast. I actually just pulled my best MPG ever in her on a trip from PA to Albany, NY. Got 29.4 mpg. Last year in the spring and summer I put new tires on her and a nice new Bosal exhaust, from cat to muffler.

The brake line was in pretty bad condition. Wish I would have looked at her before it sprung a leak. I was going to tackle the job myself BUT my dads neighbor is a 35 year Toyota tech and has the machine to bend new 3/16" line and fix both hard lines for me for a whopping $60 lol. So I said to myself by the time I go to the junkyard and gas and pay for the used lines I can let this guy do it. This will be the first time since I have owned her in 42K miles that I let someone else touch her privates lol. But I know he'll treat her good.

Keep in touch Poorman. By the way I am going to sell this girl. What does everyone think its worth? The body is in fair condition, got a lil rear fender rust. Interior is meh (3 out of 10) Not ripped just worn, stained, just not awesome. I got the car like that, it was ripped apart once or twice and never put back together with care by the previous owner(s). Motor has 160Kish and rest of car has 220,500. New tires, new exhaust, runs like a champ. A/c blows cold as a sob. Only leak is the main rear seal.

I want to get a nicer 5 speed 94-97 Accord. How much with let's saw 130K going to run me and does anyone know of any??

Last edited by cgeromi; 03-21-2015 at 12:52 AM.
Old 03-23-2015, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator

Along with those 2 brake lines running under the car, is 3 fuel lines. How are they doing for corrosion?
Pressurized supply line
Low-pressure return line
Low-pressure vapor line

Old 03-24-2015, 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Along with those 2 brake lines running under the car, is 3 fuel lines. How are they doing for corrosion?
Pressurized supply line
Low-pressure return line
Low-pressure vapor line
They surprisingly look good. Both brake lines towards the rear of the car have seen better days. The driver side hard line where it starts to curve to go to the caliper sprung a leak. I have a friend who has the machine to bend new line and is going to cut out both sections of bad line and gimme some new.

Pardon my ignorance but what to those do?

Old 03-24-2015, 11:26 AM
Super Moderator

Well, you will have seen 5 steel tubes when you took off all the plastic covers. On my 1995 Integra it just happened the fuel tube corroded through first. Just luck, I guess.
Left-rear brake pipe
Right-rear brake pipe
Fuel supply pipe - carries pressurized fuel from the fuel pump towards the engine.
Fuel return pipe - carries low-pressure fuel from the FPR back to the fuel tank.
Fuel vapor pipe - carries fuel vapor from the top of the fuel tank to the EVAP canister.

Old 03-26-2015, 07:07 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by cgeromi
. I have a friend who has the machine to bend new line and is going to cut out both sections of bad line and gimme some new.
Is he going back with steel or something a bit better - Ni-copp or poly?

BTW, I make a copy of one of your posts in the "off topic" section to talk about prices of selling and that.....figured I keep this one just to the "tech" side of things.

EDIT: really if he is doing t for that price.....forget my question.....the regular line(s) lasted for X years, why worry.

Last edited by poorman212; 03-26-2015 at 07:09 PM.
Old 03-29-2015, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Well, you will have seen 5 steel tubes when you took off all the plastic covers. On my 1995 Integra it just happened the fuel tube corroded through first. Just luck, I guess.
Left-rear brake pipe
Right-rear brake pipe
Fuel supply pipe - carries pressurized fuel from the fuel pump towards the engine.
Fuel return pipe - carries low-pressure fuel from the FPR back to the fuel tank.
Fuel vapor pipe - carries fuel vapor from the top of the fuel tank to the EVAP canister.
The other lines (fuel lines) looked good. The driver brake line was severely weathered and the passenger line was not too far behind. I just got the car back 2 days ago and my family friend (35 year Toyota tech) did a nice job! He put in new line all the way from the front end to the rear on both wheels. Instead of dropping the tank for the passenger line he routed it differently so no tank dropping was needed. Car is back to her solid running status, still pulling 29.7 mpg on my last trip with 221,000. Her only downfall is she likes to blow oil smoke on start up due to bad valve seals and her main rear seal has seen better days. Nothing a 5 qt jug of oil in the back of the car won't solve every couple of thousand miles

I'm about ready to get rid of her though. I have my eye on a 2003 Rav 4 with 115,000 miles and in excellent condition and the kicker is it is 5 speed! Those are hard to fine.