Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   rough idle & sputtering (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/rough-idle-sputtering-47936/)

mcristo 06-05-2012 10:44 AM

rough idle & sputtering

Hey what's up. I have a 94 Accord LX 5sp. It has 214k miles. It just started to have a rough idle and I can feel it sputter while driving. It does not stall. It just passed smog test with very good numbers. Before the smog I did a tune up and noticed oil on the spark plugs. I know I need to change the valve cover gasket and grommets, could the oil on the plugs be the cause?

Thanks, Mike

poorman212 06-05-2012 01:27 PM

Very well could be, you def want to rule that out before chasing anything else....did you replace the cap and rotor when you did the tune up?

mcristo 06-05-2012 01:42 PM

No, but I plan to when I change the valve cover gasket.

Thanks, Mike

mcristo 06-06-2012 11:08 AM

Well, it's fixed. I changed the valve cover gaskets and grommets and when I pulled the spark plugs, the tip was burnt and melted on one of the plugs. (defective plug)? It was an E3 spark plug that I tried. Put back in some NGK's and no problems.

poorman212 06-06-2012 08:50 PM

Cool :) And thank you for coming back with the answer, too many of these end up with no answer.

mcristo 06-08-2012 10:57 AM

Back again. 3 days since I changed to valve cover gaskets and spark plugs and I am getting the sputtering and hesitation while driving. I think the spark plug electrode is going to be melted again. I will pull it after work and follow up. Any Ideas?

Thanks, Mike

JimBlake 06-09-2012 08:54 PM

Small chance that the oil leak had damaged the insulation on the sparkplug wires. Check for arcing...

- Complete darkness with cold engine (like maybe 3am?)

- Open the hood & turn off all the lights

- Start the engine & look for arcing (or the dull blue glow of a corona discharge)

- Replace whatever is glowing or arcing.

mcristo 06-11-2012 09:48 AM

OK. Did a full tune up on Friday, wires, cap, rotor, and NGK plugs. So far no problems. I think it was all the OEM parts, the cap was cracked, and the rotor screw was almost seized due to rust. Cleaned it all up and installed the new parts. I will let you all know if it happens again.

Thanks, Mike

JimBlake 06-11-2012 10:45 AM

Distributor cap was cracked?? That'll do it right there.

I would have been tempted to replace the cap & rotor ONLY then see if that fixed it.

mcristo 06-14-2012 05:45 PM

Back again. 3 days after a complete tune up it started misfiring. i pulled the #4 plug to find the gap closed on it. Took it to the shop they said timing was fine and the put a scope down the cyl to check for a foreign object, nothing. Could the piston be coming up and hitting it? from what i heard is that the piston will not travel up that far on these engines. engine sounds fine no knocking or pinging.This plug i just put in i added 2 extra gaskets to see if it helps. not sure what to do next.

Thanks, Mike