Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   Safety Indicator diagnosis (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/safety-indicator-diagnosis-29027/)

sschnei 11-03-2009 12:45 PM

Safety Indicator diagnosis

Two issues with Safety Indicator lights on dash. The first is a "brake light" indicator showing on dash(not to be confused with the brake warning light). All bulbs are working so don't know why this indcator is on.

Recently all the safety indicators have started coming on and are now on continuously (all doors, trunk lid, and brake light).

Scine each of these indicators is controlled by a switch, it doesn't seem feasible that all the switches would be bad. Any suggestions on where to start troubleshooting?

JimBlake 11-03-2009 02:19 PM

Welcome newbie!

Are you sure the brake lamps are working? Those bulbs have 2 separate filaments, so just because the parking lights work doesn't mean the BRAKE lamp works.

Brake lamp warning operates on the difference between wattage from side-to-side. Say one bulb is beginning to go out, it's pretty common for it to keep working at a different wattage, for a week or more before it burns out. In fact, occasionally someone has to replace ALL the bulbs just so they match each other.

Only one coincidence?
Doors & trunk don't have separate warning lamps, right? It's just ONE lamp that looks like all doors are open. So that's any ONE of the switches. Does it trigger the interior lights to come on?

sschnei 11-03-2009 03:12 PM

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I had someone watch with brake depressed. All bulbs appear to be working. Bulbs are inexpensive, I'll change them out and see what happens.

The safety indicator shows each door and trunk independently. Any one can be on with the others off. Leads me to believe there may be a seperate circuit and light for each.

It does not trigger the interior light to come on and it functions normally when doors are opened and closed.

JimBlake 11-03-2009 04:48 PM

Look in the DIY area for a sticky-post with links to on-line shop manuals. You'll want the circuit drawings for those door-open warning lights. Each door switch & the trunk switch is a simple switch that simply connects its wire to ground when the door is opened.

00AccordLX5spd 11-04-2009 09:58 AM

All of the lights coming on are also sometimes an early warning of a failing alternator. But if it has been doing this for a while, you probably have electrical grmlins to chase down. Couldn't hurt to check the battery connections though and have the alternator tested at an Auto Parts store (since the tests are free) before diving into the super-fun world of chasing electrical problems.

sschnei 11-04-2009 11:47 AM

Thanks for the input. I Had not considered the alternator as the charging system warning light is not illuminated. Anyone else had a similar experience with alternator failure lighting up safety indicator lights only?

Last evening I installed all new tail light bulbs (8 total). Unfortunately it had no impact on safety indicator lights. They are all still on. I checked each of the door and trunk switches (one at a time) by opening and closing each switch independently. The interior light and courtesy light on door turned on/off as expected.

As suggested, I have downloaded the appropriate manual from the DIY section, great resource btw, and have been looking at the troubleshooting sequence and circuit diagrams. Having checked the switches manual says to check the safety indicator circuit in the gage assembly. This will require dash disassembly to access. Ugh! Haven't had done this before, anything I show be aware before getting into it?

Beginner 04-30-2010 04:56 PM

ditto

Hi Steve,
I have the same problem "Safety Indicator - Always ON" with my 93 Honda Accord. I think it could be the problem with the break switches because as I remember the break lamp was lit first. Do you have any luck with yours?

Thanks
Beginner.

sschnei 05-03-2010 08:29 PM

Yes, I had a brake warning indicator light staying on initially also, then the other safety indicators joined in later. At the time I looked for possible causes in the brake light failure sensor, but found no problem. Occasionally all the safety indicator lights will dim or go off for a while, but eventually come back on. It's more of a nuisance than anything else. One of these days I go in and figure what the issue is, in the mean time, I've some worn ball joints and a leaking steering rack that require more immediate attention. If you happen to find the root cause please be sure to post.

hondadude 05-04-2010 09:27 AM

Test switch might be shorted?

Beginner 05-05-2010 04:31 PM

Infor

Hello Hondadude,
What and where's the test switch? But why's the test switch?

Thanks
Beginner