General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Phantom electrical issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 12:41 PM
Default Phantom electrical issue

I have a 2004 Accord. The other day I drove to a shopping center about 45 minutes from the house. I got out of the car, and attempted to lock the doors with the remote. Nothing happened. Opened the door with the key, no dome light came on. Put the key in the ignition, and it was silent. No lights came on the dash.
I locked the door manually, and just as I was walking away from the car, the doors unlocked themselves. Putting the key back in the ignition, dingers all worked and the car started fine. It was fine after that.About 8 Days later, went out to the car to go to work. I opened the door to get into the car, no dome light came on. Again put the key in the ignition, no dinging noise, still no dome light.

Being that I needed to get to work I started the process of getting the wife's car next to mine so I could jump it. As I was opening the hood on the other car, the dash lights came on in the Accord. And then it started fine.Has anybody seen anything like this happen before? I don't believe it's a battery issue but I believe something is going on and unsure as to where to start looking. Any ideas as to what this might be it would be greatly appreciated.Thank you

Old 03-14-2018, 07:58 PM
Super Moderator

Was any work done on your car before this happened?

I would start by checking the battery cable connections at the battery posts. If you try to shake them, will the power cut in and out?

You may want to disconnect the battery cables and clean the posts and connector with a wire brush or a piece of sandpaper to ensure you are getting a solid connection.