Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   Are sending unit lock rings the new unicorn? (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/sending-unit-lock-rings-new-unicorn-66468/)

Three-Nuts 02-03-2019 07:43 AM

Are sending unit lock rings the new unicorn?

My apologies if I am not posting this in the right place...

I am in the process of replacing a leaking gas tank in my '1 EX 2-door coupe - it rusted through at the front pinch weld.

As the sending unit retaining bolts were heavily corroded, it took a substantial amount of effort to remove it, so I could drain the gas from the tank.

By "substantial effort," I mean I had to use a pry bar and go all Conan on the lock ring assembly to get it off & the sending unit out.

I am now the proud owner of a helix-shaped lock ring.

I have been searching for a new lock ring for two weeks. Every search turns up at least one image of the metal lock ring, or a description of a lock ring, which invariably leads to...purchasing a lock ring gasket.

I do not need a gasket; I need the metal lock ring itself.

Does anyone know where I can find one, has my google-fu simply been weak?

The Toecutter 02-03-2019 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Three-Nuts (Post 384019)
My apologies if I am not posting this in the right place...

I am in the process of replacing a leaking gas tank in my '1 EX 2-door coupe - it rusted through at the front pinch weld.

As the sending unit retaining bolts were heavily corroded, it took a substantial amount of effort to remove it, so I could drain the gas from the tank.

By "substantial effort," I mean I had to use a pry bar and go all Conan on the lock ring assembly to get it off & the sending unit out.

I am now the proud owner of a helix-shaped lock ring.

I have been searching for a new lock ring for two weeks. Every search turns up at least one image of the metal lock ring, or a description of a lock ring, which invariably leads to...purchasing a lock ring gasket.

I do not need a gasket; I need the metal lock ring itself.

Does anyone know where I can find one, has my google-fu simply been weak?

When I replaced the fuel tank on my 99 Accord Sedan, it came with new lock rings (2), screws for both, and 2 "O" rings. I got my tank thru Rock Auto. My tank rusted thru at the rear seam.

Seanjordan20 02-03-2019 11:27 AM

Are you talking about the plate setting?

Rock Auto

Bernardi Honda

Ebay

Three-Nuts 02-03-2019 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by The Toecutter (Post 384024)
When I replaced the fuel tank on my 99 Accord Sedan, it came with new lock rings (2), screws for both, and 2 "O" rings. I got my tank thru Rock Auto. My tank rusted thru at the rear seam.

Yeah, I got the tank, the two "o" rings, and a set of screws to replace the 8mm bolts on the sending unit & the evap...but no rings.

Originally Posted by Seanjordan20 (Post 384026)
Are you talking about the plate setting?

Rock Auto

Bernardi Honda

Ebay

Not sure what a "plate setting" is, but if that's the steel ring that holds the sending unit & gasket in place...then, yes!

(edit) a brief search turns up -0- under "plate setting"

(edit4)

Closest I've been able to find is this item, for an '02 Acura...it looks identical, but who knows what the size is.

I know that the Acura TL is essentially a tarted-up Accord - and that they seem to share a lot of parts...

However, Amazon says that this is not compatible with the '01 Accord EX. I'm tempted to pull the trigger anyway; I suspect it will fit.

(edit5) if there's a size difference in the sending unit opening between a V6 car and a VTEC 4 - then it won't fit. I know the V6 tanks are greater capacity...but the openings at the top appear the same (and in the same configuration) as the smaller tank.

Three-Nuts 02-03-2019 12:02 PM

Quote =! edit

The Toecutter 02-05-2019 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Three-Nuts (Post 384028)
Yeah, I got the tank, the two "o" rings, and a set of screws to replace the 8mm bolts on the sending unit & the evap...but no rings.

Not sure what a "plate setting" is, but if that's the steel ring that holds the sending unit & gasket in place...then, yes!

(edit) a brief search turns up -0- under "plate setting"

(edit4)

Closest I've been able to find is this item, for an '02 Acura...it looks identical, but who knows what the size is.

I know that the Acura TL is essentially a tarted-up Accord - and that they seem to share a lot of parts...

However, Amazon says that this is not compatible with the '01 Accord EX. I'm tempted to pull the trigger anyway; I suspect it will fit.

https://www.amazon.com/Spectra-Premi.../dp/B075X975TV

(edit5) if there's a size difference in the sending unit opening between a V6 car and a VTEC 4 - then it won't fit. I know the V6 tanks are greater capacity...but the openings at the top appear the same (and in the same configuration) as the smaller tank.

I'm wondering if the V6 sending unit is different, in that it doesn't use the lock ring, but rather just uses the sending unit and screws to hold it in place Edit, I see it uses the same set up as the 4 cylinder version, but might be bigger. Can you measure yours, and see if there's a size difference?
Have you dropped the rear suspension out yet so you can look the old tank over? Just asking, as it has to come out, because the tank is bolted to the rear subframe. Mine is a 4 cylinder, and uses an 18 gallon tank.
I see Sean found you a couple, but don't know if they're for the V6 or not (might not make a difference).

Seanjordan20 02-05-2019 03:09 PM

There is no difference in the 4cyl and 6cyl. They use the same pump, tank and lock.

Seanjordan20 02-05-2019 03:12 PM

Pay attention to the Honda link I posted. If you click on it it will list the part number. Then you can search by the part number. If you are having a hard time finding a part always go to the Honda site and you will find the part number. Not knowing the actual name/ part number for will get you almost nowhere.

Three-Nuts 02-05-2019 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Seanjordan20 (Post 384058)
Pay attention to the Honda link I posted. If you click on it it will list the part number. ...Not knowing the actual name/ part number for will get you almost nowhere.

Seanjordan20, my apologies; I did not realize that those were links (I see it now, but thought that they were part of your sig).

Thank you; boy, you ain't kidding - that they can't be found.

I did order the Acura piece; I'll know when it arrives if it's correct. The price is about the same (~$30)...based on what you posted, it should be the correct part. Taking the part# down for future reference.

Thanks again, guys.