Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   Sloppy shifting manual transmission gearshift lever. Reason for the issue? (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/sloppy-shifting-manual-transmission-gearshift-lever-reason-issue-70363/)

75Gremlin 11-07-2023 08:29 AM

Sloppy shifting manual transmission gearshift lever. Reason for the issue?

246k miles. Shifting feels sloppy and unprecise. Is it likely to be the shift cable bushings? or?

plenum 11-07-2023 08:36 AM

What transmission fluid are you using. Now there are some transmission fluids that provide smoother shifts. And I think there are some transmission fluids that have the effect of keeping it as a hard shift. I think it depends on the car, so I'm curious what kind of car you use. Also, was there any recent changes to your car? Have you noticed this for a while?

75Gremlin 11-07-2023 08:44 AM

Thanks. Honda OEM fluid, changed 6k miles ago.

I don't believe its a fluid issue. It shifts with a somewhat rubbery feeling. My son was driving it and when he tried shifting from 3rd to 4th it shifted into second instead. he did that twice while driving. I believe there are several bushings in the system and wonder if it could be the bushings at the end of the shift cable at the transmission? or at the shifter? maybe there's another reason for the issue? this is my first "modern" Honda. I'm used to the civics from the 90s which had shift rods, not shift cables.

shipo 11-07-2023 08:50 AM

Bushings are a good bet.

75Gremlin 11-07-2023 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by shipo (Post 400486)
Bushings are a good bet.

Thanks!

Apparently Honda only sells the complete cable assemblies, but I found these (see link below) which are supposed to be a direct fit. they are also available on Amazon.

The material is:

"Made from Delrin. Delrin, also known as Polyoxymethylene (POM), is a high-performance acetal resin with several desirable physical and mechanical properties. This highly-crystalline engineered thermoplastic is widely regarded for its durability, stiffness, and exceptional dimensional stability."

I wonder if this material is harder than the OEM bushings and might have an adverse affect due to it's hardness?

https://www.torquesolution.com/Honda-Accord-Shifter-Bushing-p/ts-scb-504.htm

shipo 11-07-2023 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by 75Gremlin (Post 400488)
Thanks!

Apparently Honda only sells the complete cable assemblies, but I found these (see link below) which are supposed to be a direct fit. they are also available on Amazon.

The material is:

"Made from Delrin. Delrin, also known as Polyoxymethylene (POM), is a high-performance acetal resin with several desirable physical and mechanical properties. This highly-crystalline engineered thermoplastic is widely regarded for its durability, stiffness, and exceptional dimensional stability."

I wonder if this material is harder than the OEM bushings and might have an adverse affect due to it's hardness?

https://www.torquesolution.com/Honda-Accord-Shifter-Bushing-p/ts-scb-504.htm

Unless you're planning on another quarter of a million miles from the car, I probably wouldn't worry about the longevity of the new bushings. :)

75Gremlin 11-07-2023 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by shipo (Post 400489)
Unless you're planning on another quarter of a million miles from the car, I probably wouldn't worry about the longevity of the new bushings. :)

Sorry, my previous post wasn't clear. My concern is more that the OEM bushings are most likely a softer rubber, thereby more forgiving to the transmission system than a harder "plastic'' would be. For example, I read that the metal bushings that were often used to replace the OEM rubber bushings in the old civics would cause damage to the transmission due to being too rigid. Don't know if that is true or not, but read it in several posts years ago.

shipo 11-07-2023 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by 75Gremlin (Post 400490)
Sorry, my previous post wasn't clear. My concern is more that the OEM bushings are most likely a softer rubber, thereby more forgiving to the transmission system than a harder "plastic'' would be. For example, I read that the metal bushings that were often used to replace the OEM rubber bushings in the old civics would cause damage to the transmission due to being too rigid. Don't know if that is true or not, but read it in several posts years ago.

Ahhh, got it. Unless one is racing, I seriously doubt it matters one way or another. Personally I prefer a crisp feel to my shifter, so the stiffer the bushings the better; either way, I don't race and have every confidence my transmission will easily outlast my vehicle.

PAhonda 11-07-2023 11:29 AM

You can price the bushings from honda if they are still available. If not, look for rubber bushings at the parts stores or Rockauto.

75Gremlin 11-07-2023 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by PAhonda (Post 400493)
You can price the bushings from honda if they are still available. If not, look for rubber bushings at the parts stores or Rockauto.

Good idea. Apparently Honda only sells the complete cable assemblies, which include the bushings. and according to "Eric the Car Guy" (just found on youtube), in his experience the cables don't fail it's only the bushings.

Edit: Checked Rock Auto and they don't even sell the complete shift cables, let alone the bushings. Couldn't find any shift bushings on O'Reilly or Autozone website.