Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   Squeak/Rattle in passenger seat (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/squeak-rattle-passenger-seat-4758/)

AccordCroz 09-01-2006 12:02 PM

Squeak/Rattle in passenger seat

I have a 2002 Accord SE sedan. The front passenger seatback has an annoying squeak/rattle (it sounds like a combination) at highway speed. It appears to be caused by vibration. If I put my hand on the seatback, or have a passenger, it stops. But if I'm alone, it squeaks.

Any idea what could be causing this, and how I could attack the problem?

Thanks,
Bob

deserthonda 09-01-2006 02:19 PM

RE: Squeak/Rattle in passenger seat

my friend squeaks and rattles you got to use your hear and locate the noise ,,,,,,,

it is hard for me to even start to imagine where the squeak could be coming from

basic thing to chk,, make sure the hold down bolts are tight , the lower to upper hinges are tight

AccordCroz 09-01-2006 02:29 PM

Thanks deserthonda. Problem in finding it is that I have to have no passenger, and be driving at highway speeds to hear it. I think the local constabulary would frown on me leaving the driver's seat to rummage around the back, with the cruise on, on the interstate! :D

However, the idea of the lower to upper hinges sounds promising. If I push down in the front and rear of the lower part of the seat, the noise continues. But if I lay any pressure at all on the seatback, it stops. So it certainly appears to be related to the seatback vibrating. I'll check those hinges.

I'll report back. This is the only non-road-noise sound in the cockpit, and it can drive me nuts on long drives!

Thanks,
Bob

YeuEmMaiMai 09-01-2006 03:58 PM

get your tires balanced. That will cause a lot of unwanted vibrations

AccordCroz 09-01-2006 04:47 PM

Just had them all replaced, balanced and aligned 2 weeks ago. Still have the same problem. But when my tires were worn, that was my suspicion too.

JimBlake 09-03-2006 04:01 AM

ORIGINAL: AccordCroz

Thanks deserthonda. Problem in finding it is that I have to have no passenger, and be driving at highway speeds to hear it. I think the local constabulary would frown on me leaving the driver's seat to rummage around the back, with the cruise on, on the interstate! :D
Put your friend in the back seat where he can stick his head down behind the front-right seat hinges. Then it'll be easier for him to locate the sound.

segentry@aol.com 04-16-2007 10:41 PM

I had the guides replaced for the headrest on my passenger side. It cleared the problem right up....tap, tap, tap at highway speeds, drove me CRAZY.

ckebottle 04-16-2007 11:15 PM

ORIGINAL: segentry@aol.com

I had the guides replaced for the headrest on my passenger side. It cleared the problem right up....tap, tap, tap at highway speeds, drove me CRAZY.
I have the same problem with my headrest at highway speeds! Drives me nuts. Did you replace guides or a shop. If the latter, how much did it cost?

segentry@aol.com 04-19-2007 04:56 AM

Under warranty the dealer repalced them free of charge. Of course they just need you to narrow down where any noise is coming from and then get your car to do that SAME thing when they take it out. But they replaced the guides and no more rattle when I'm on the freeway...at least from the headrest!