Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   SRS and Seat Belt Buckle (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/srs-seat-belt-buckle-66262/)

snowman24 11-11-2018 03:46 PM

SRS and Seat Belt Buckle

My son has a 2002 Honda Accord Coupe. He took the car for yearly inspection and was told it couldn't be inspected with the SRS light on. So I took the car the local Honda dealer who informed me it needed a new SRS module to the tune of $1100.00. Well, I do have some experience with DYI stuff and mechanical abilities so I told them forget it. I found the correct replacement module on line for $100. We replaced the module but the light remained on. I followed some videos online showing the process to reset the light with no luck. I took the car to local car shop and had them check the codes. It comes up saying the driver side seat belt switch was faulty. So I found a replacement seat belt buckle online. In the mean time I purchased my own OBD2 scanner. I removed the seat and detached the wiring harness and installed the replacement buckle and made the wiring connection. Well, the light is still on. The code reader still comes up with faulty driver side buckle switch. I attempted to erase the code but the scanner won't erase it, says failure. I'm guessing it won't clear it because something is wrong somewhere. Any suggestions on what to look for now. Thanks

Jet sitter 11-11-2018 06:20 PM

Is your scanner capable to erase abs codes? Harbor freight has the Zurich ZR-13 that has that capability.

PAhonda 11-11-2018 07:03 PM

What code are you getting on the SRS? Are you getting any other codes from the engine, trans, etc.?

Does the seat belt reminder stay on when you buckle the driver's seat belt?

snowman24 11-12-2018 06:36 AM

The scanner does erase codes including SRS. I do get other codes P1 457- EVAP deals with emmisions and P1 739 clutch pressure switch. Under the section for SRS it comes up ECU Name 99SRS, under that is ECU ID 0350024021070 F0303032080. Not sure what the 99SRS or ID tells me. I have read some that Honda had a problem with the wiring harness for the seat belt but not really sure which harness. I still have the front seat detached and have checked the connections, even disconnected some and used cleaner on them before re connecting. Thanks all for replying.

JimBlake 11-12-2018 08:19 AM

The codes for the SRS should be 2 numbers separated by a hyphen. Like 1-3 or 10-5 or something like that. Does your scanner display anything like that?

P1457 is a leak in the EVAP canister system - something isn't airtight.

P1739 is the 3rd-clutch pressure switch

snowman24 11-12-2018 08:48 AM

I agree on the 1457 and 1739 was going to fix those once I got the SRS fixed. I am using an AutoLink AL619 scanner. When I view the code errors under the AbsSrs section I get
ECU Information
Ecu Ver Name Ecu Ver Value
ECU Name 99SRS
ECU ID 0350024021070F030303208

Under the Trouble Code Section is where I get the P1457 and P1739. Going to rerun the AbsSrs test some more, looks like after reading the manual some more might have over looked something.
Thanks again, I'll post results on new run.

snowman24 11-12-2018 09:43 AM

Ok, so I get the error code 9-3 for SRS Faulty driver's seat belt buckle switch. As stated earlier I replaced it with another already. Yes, I replaced it with one from a salvage yard. Not sure of chances both would be bad. When I attempt to clear the code with the scanner I get a Fail. Not sure if it's due to the scanner or if problem still exits.

Jet sitter 11-12-2018 10:25 AM

I had my seat belt replaced, under warranty, in my 2000 Accord when I had almost 200K miles on it. It's a safety issue.

JimBlake 11-12-2018 10:34 AM

That makes me think it's a wiring problem rather than a failed buckle-switch. Do you have a shop manual with troubleshooting for that circuit?

edit: Like JetSitter said, check the warranty. Honda had a lifetime warranty on seatbelts & SRS up to a certain year (not sure what year). It's worth a phone call to a dealer.

snowman24 11-12-2018 10:37 AM

No, I don't have the shop manual but was going to look online to see if I could trace the wiring and check all connections. I did see on another post about the switch inside the buckle it self being dirty and the person was able to remove the cover from the buckle and clean the connection. Thought I would shoot for that next.