Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   Starter doesnt turn the engine over (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/starter-doesnt-turn-engine-over-44480/)

l0kz 12-15-2011 10:28 PM

Starter doesnt turn the engine over

Been working on my buddys car
1994 Accord LX
45 XXX MILES ON IT

The car was sitting in one place for a month, worked perfectly.
When i had a look at it, the starter wouldnt even turn when i twisted the keys.
My friend threw in a new battery without even checking anything.
Fuel pump kicks in when i turn the keys in ON position.
So hit the starter lightly even though i shouldnt have, to see if i get it loose and back to work again, still nothing.
So took out the starter got it checked by autoparts store who just trash talked saying it wont work, but it did. Put it back on the car, Twisted the keys again. Now the starter spins but doesnt turn the engine over. Any suggestions? Has a valve leak, coils are soaking in oil, but it still should turn the engine over. My question is, is it the starter or should i go further diagnosing ?
Thanks in advance,
Lokesh

PAhonda 12-15-2011 11:05 PM

Since the starter is doing something, it is likely getting 12V to the small wire when the key is in the start position. It can't hurt to check. You will need an assistant to do the test.

It does sound like the starter or the contacts/solenoid in the starter need to be replaced.

Ish 12-16-2011 12:21 AM

I had the same problem on an old Toyota where the Flywheel teeth were worn out and starter would just spin. You can check that if Pahonda's advice turns up nothing.

bigpat 12-16-2011 09:37 AM

This sounds as if the solenoid switch in the starter is bad...If so, the starter drive gear (bendix) is not engaging the flywheel to turn the motor over. This can only be confirmed or ruled out by removing the starter and testing the solenoid/bendix drive.

l0kz 12-16-2011 04:08 PM

I got the starter tested in O'rileys few days ago. He said it works. I dont think he did a bench test i.e he didnt lock the starter with a vise, i cant remember what the machine does, but when my instructor at college did it he mounted it on a vise so it doesnt run away.Where as, the guy in O'rileys just threw the starter in the machine and hooked on cables and let it run. Didnt look like the same test as it was done in my college. So i dont trust him right now. Other thing what i can do is take the starter out and put the car in reverse ( auto tranny) and push the car back and feel the flywheel to look for broken teeth. If no chipped teeth in flywheel, then i can say its starter. Correct me if i am wrong.

Thanks,
Lokesh

poorman212 12-17-2011 09:29 AM

So the starter motor is spinning but the engine is not turning over....it should be spinning pretty fast if the bendix is not contacting the flywheel......you could try to clean and lube the bendix.....

posativJ311 12-17-2011 11:50 AM

I can tell you that O'reilly's only does a test to make sure that it spins when power is applied. They do not give it a load to try to work with, just a free spin. I suppose the reason for that is because they do not want to be blamed for breaking your starter if they where to give it to much load I suppose.

If the starter is spinning and is not connecting to the flywheel, and if the starter is in fact good, along with the battery being charged. If that is the case and you turn the key to the start position, you should hear the starter run super fast like no other, because there is not load on it, because it is not connected.

If the starter is turning when tested at o'reilly's. It might not be "kicking out" the gear so that it can connect to the flywheel if it is the kind of starter that does kick out to connect to the flywheel.

I would locate the motor that kicks out the gear on the starter and hit it a few times with meduim force with a hammer. That has worked for me many times in the past. The main motor of the starter would turn but the gear would not kick out so that it could connect to the flywheel. It sounds crazy to hit it with a hammer but it does work most of the time.

l0kz 12-21-2011 09:27 AM

ok i got the started out again, i try to beat it up , but i guess i didnt go hard on it. So i took it to napa this time, and asked him to try n put load on it or atleast tell me if the pinion moves. After the test he says it takes a lot of juice to make it work. English is not my native language, so i exactly did not understand whats exactly juice, but i just guessed it as amperage. So should i go for new starter?

crispin 12-21-2011 09:34 AM

yes starter problems are something that is worth a few bucks to prevent.

Either have your starter rebuild or buy a new one.

Also change your valve cover gasket soon.

TexasHonda 12-21-2011 09:41 AM

The overunning clutch should slide easily back/forth along the shaft. Your's may be frozen. Clean/lube should fix.

You can test this by applying 12V to the solenoid. It should thrust the overunning clutch forward.

good luck