Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   Starter Replacement (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/starter-replacement-58369/)

drummer1279 02-27-2014 08:41 AM

Starter Replacement

so my original starter finally gave up the ghost a few days back. just replaced the battery as well. I went to auto zone and bought a remanned starter, came home and installed it; this new starter hesitates almost like the battery is weak, and I'm getting a slight metallic chirping sound that wasn't there before. Did I get sold a faulty starter? do I need to shim it somehow?

96FiveSpeed 02-27-2014 02:23 PM

If your connections are all clean and good,I would possibly take it back and ask for another one.It should not hesitate and with a good battery,should fire as soon as you turn the key.

You should have that lifetime warranty on it.Sometimes they will test it on the bench machine and it might pass,but in the car,its under a different load,etc.

Without hearing the noise,I cant say it needs shimming or not.

PS,AZ starters are junk.I went through them like candy on another car,I dont use them anymore,I take my alternators and starters to the Shop in town that rebuilds them.Never had to take one back to the starter shop.

drummer1279 02-27-2014 02:23 PM

I am also hearing what sounds like metal scraping.

UhOh 02-28-2014 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by 96FiveSpeed (Post 341392)
PS,AZ starters are junk.I went through them like candy on another car,I dont use them anymore,

I take my alternators and starters to the Shop in town that rebuilds them.Never had to take one back to the starter shop.

Agree, unreliable - also Oreilly's, in my experience.
So rebuild from local shop, or buy from NAPA, or Honda.

drummer1279 02-28-2014 03:20 PM

I wish I had a shop around my area that would rebuild my old one. Alas I have to use a parts store, I have the big 4 Advance, AZ, Oreilly, and NAPA

drummer1279 02-28-2014 03:34 PM

How about Pep boys? would one from there be good?

UhOh 02-28-2014 08:00 PM

I go to NAPA, sometimes they have two grades of parts separated by about $25 (ask, once I waited 3 days to get the higher grade shipped in).
If it's true of your car's starter, get the higher priced grade.

'Cuz I drive to remote areas, trailheads, etc. and arrive back sometimes after dark.
Alone. No cell service. I need to know the car will start or I won't enjoy the hike.
NAPA or dealer parts have worked for me, so far ... always.

holmesnmanny 03-02-2014 07:35 AM

if its a denso starter more times than none you just need to replace the starter contacts ... "larry b's starter contacts" sells em ... im more interested in what your entire symptoms were before replacing your starter

2ToeRacing 03-02-2014 10:05 AM

I ALWAYS try to buy factory parts for all my vehicles.when the starter went out in my wifes accord I called Honda it was going to be 380.00 new,270.00 my cost. AAAA no, I had to go to advance,100.00 even our cost with a life time warranty. I agree with everyone that aftermarket parts aren't like factory but I just couldn't shell out almost 200 more dollars.

drummer1279 03-02-2014 03:02 PM

the car ran and started normally, nothing out of the ordinary. I come out of the store and get a solenoid click with nothing else. Bought a NAPA starter, still getting what sounds like a slight metallic grind, and really sluggish starting.. almost like it spins the flywheel, releases, then spins it again and the car starts. I'm about to go get one out of a salvage yard and see what that does.