General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Newb here, need help w/wifes 05 Accord

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 11:48 AM
stevessti
Unregistered
Default Newb here, need help w/wifes 05 Accord

My wifes 05 Accord EX-L has started being noisey when backing out of our garage first thing in the morning. It has 256XX miles on it. When I started it this morning, it sounded normal. Waited a few moments, then started to back out. About 15 feet out of our garage, It seemed as if the engine became much louder. I put it in to Park, and it went away, back in to reverse, and it came back. I drove it around my neighborhood, and it seemed to go away as it warmed up. Returning to my drive way and all seemed normal again. Has anyone else had any experiences like this?
Thanks,
Steve

Old 11-20-2006, 02:04 PM
Default RE: Newb here, need help w/wifes 05 Accord

is it a squeel like noise or just general engine noise that is much louder? like someone took the standard sound your car makes and turned up the volume.... Did you notice any difference in RPM's from when it was loud vs. quiet?

Old 11-20-2006, 02:07 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

any trans fluid leaks?

Old 11-20-2006, 02:12 PM
stevessti
Unregistered

No, havent noticed anything leaking, and the noise is just standard engine noise, turned up. And after the trip around the block everything was normal.

Old 11-20-2006, 02:21 PM

Did you by chance notice if the RPM range was higher at that point? I'm wondering if it was just the high idle that you were hearing..... Was the A/C on? Heater on? Start the car, turn off all the heat, a/c, stereo etc, if it sounds loud take note of your rpm's, then drive around until it appears to be at normal operating temp and then take note of the RPM's and let us know what you see/feel/hear

Old 11-20-2006, 03:07 PM
stevessti
Unregistered

ORIGINAL: sir_nasty

Did you by chance notice if the RPM range was higher at that point? I'm wondering if it was just the high idle that you were hearing..... Was the A/C on? Heater on? Start the car, turn off all the heat, a/c, stereo etc, if it sounds loud take note of your rpm's, then drive around until it appears to be at normal operating temp and then take note of the RPM's and let us know what you see/feel/hear
The a/c wasnt on, and no radio was on either.
I will drive it tonight when I get home from work, wife is out of town, and take note.
I do remember slight increase in vibration through the cabin when it did it.

Old 11-20-2006, 09:18 PM
stevessti
Unregistered

OK, So I just got done driving it again. It was stone cold, started it, dropped it in reverse and kept the brakes on, not moving. Stayed there maybe 25-30 seconds and it didnt do anything. Started to move backwards and it immediately got louder, and a touch more vibration in the cabin. I stopped, put it in park, and it got quiter, popped in foward, louder, reverse, still louder. Drove around the neighborhood and driving it didnt seem any different than normal. Drove it maybe 5 minutes and went home, and it seemed to quite down to normal again, reverse and drive. Pulled in and just to be safe checked the tranny fluid level, and it was spot on. The drive itself was uneventful, I manually switched from first through fifth gear, and everything seemed fine. It drives completely normal otherwise.

Old 11-20-2006, 09:43 PM

do you have a tachometer to show you if the engine is increasing rpm's (like a high idle kicking in)?

Old 11-20-2006, 11:26 PM
stevessti
Unregistered

Yes, it has a tach, but the RPM's stayed constant, they didnt go up when the sound got louder.........

Old 11-21-2006, 08:39 PM
stevessti
Unregistered

So I just drove it to the store. It pretty cold here (high 50's) Started it, waited maybe 10 seconds, reversed out of my garage, and it started doing it when I got to the street. Put in Drive, let the brakes go, and man, it nearly took off with out me! It idled up to about 1500 rpm's, going almost 15 mph on its own!! Drove it to the near by store, by the time I got there, it didnt do it anymore. Got what I needed, about 10 minutes later and it drove home fine.

Quick Reply: Newb here, need help w/wifes 05 Accord