General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

rearm the spring in a folding power mirror of 2005 Accord LX

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 01:49 PM
Question rearm the spring in a folding power mirror of 2005 Accord LX

First of all, this is my first post here because, so far, every time I've had question, I've always found the answer here well explained and detailed. So I wanted to start by saying thank you to this great community.

I have a 2005 Accord LX 2.4L with power, manual foldable mirrors.

I backed into my mirror with my other car (we have a very tight garage...).
The mirror did not break, the casing is OK (other than for a couple of scratches) but the spring that always the mirror to fold released itself.

When driving at high speed, the mirror now no longer stays in place because there's nothing to hold it in place any longer.

I've taken the mirror casing out and removed the mirror to see what I could do to rearm the spring by compressing it down and placing back the holding ring in place. There is barely any room to put tools inside to push the spring/ring down and there's only access in the front...

Any of you have an idea how I could do that?
It just pains me to have to replace the whole unit just for that as no piece is broken...

Thanks in advance for your advice... and happy holidays!

Pyheme

Old 12-25-2011, 12:13 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

If you were able to remove the mirror and mirror housing cover, and still didn't have enough access, it's difficult to see how anything further could be disassembled. Shop manual doesn't have any guidance on the pivot spring.

You can purchase a Honda shop manual for this model from ebay seller automanualsource for $21.99, a bargain.

good luck

Old 12-25-2011, 12:58 PM

Thank you for your response.
I actually found the way. By unplugging the motor, I was able to remove the spring completely. I then used 2 pliers to compress it and small wire cables to keep it compressed while re-installing it and the top ring. I then cut my wire cables with thin pliers (that was, ironically, the hardest part since there's not much room) and was all set!

Thanks

Old 12-25-2011, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Nice fix! Thanks for posting.

regards