Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   Suspension problems (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/suspension-problems-20451/)

pshadey 09-01-2008 11:56 PM

Suspension problems

:)I have a 92 Honda Accord Dx F22A1. I have a little suspension problem, my passenger side suspenion rides a little high than the driver side does. the is also some negative camber goin on as well just trying to see what it could possibly be. My guess is a control arm or something in that area... Is it even possible to throw the suspension off just like that just due to a bent lowe control arm. If not what else could it be.......Thanks for any help.. I really want to do the H22 swap but not if the suspension can't be repaired............

falkore24 09-02-2008 08:28 AM

RE: Suspension problems

Original springs? Could be worn out.

xpieceofcralpx 09-02-2008 02:19 PM

hmm , this is similar to my problem to, i noticed about a week or so ago, my front driver side sits about 1/2 - 1" lower then the front passenger side.both rears look pretty even. i changed my springs andshocks about amonth ago. what can be the problem?

falkore24 09-02-2008 02:57 PM

If I'm not mistaken, on the 6th gen 4 cylinder, the engine sits off to the driver side. This could cause the lean. IDk about the 92.

finch13 09-02-2008 03:05 PM

^tranny should balance that out some.... sounds like sagging springs to me. Depending on how the control arm is bent it could also cause a similar effect, but that much, I doubt it. A bent control arm definitely affects handling and the way the car drives. I drove around with a bent one for a month or two, it's noticeable!

xpieceofcralpx 09-02-2008 03:51 PM

hmm, this is real interesting, if anyone has any other theories to my uneven front, post them up!

falkore24 09-02-2008 04:22 PM

If you can, post corner-weights ...... with and without the driver in the car.

TexasHonda 09-02-2008 08:23 PM

Worn bushings in lower arm could cause a sag. Worn or damaged Spring Mounting Rubber at top of strut column. Worn upper and/or lower ball joints.

good luck

Tony1M 09-03-2008 11:34 AM

ORIGINAL: xpieceofcralpx

hmm, this is real interesting, if anyone has any other theories to my uneven front, post them up!
Just a suggestion.

When I started a complete front suspension job, the very first thing I noticed was that BOTH front strut springs were broken.

Check for a break near the bottom of the spring, just above where the spring is held by the strut shock. If the spring has that plastic coating/protector, look at it closely for any discontinuity that would indicate that the spring underneath is is broken.

pshadey 09-03-2008 04:38 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions. When i pulled the passenger side suspension apart a while back i found that the springs that are on it seem to be OE.it does pull slightly to the right but i believe thats beacuse the passenger side sits high. It does how ever have KYB GR2 struts on the front(with stock springs). should i just go out and buy some drop(only because i want to lowe it any way) springs and see if it levels it out...... Not sure what is meant by corner wieghts.

Thanks for everything guys

falkore24 09-03-2008 04:51 PM

Corner weights are the weight under each tire.

JohnL 09-05-2008 01:26 AM

You might have one sagged front spring (or one front spring sagged more than the other). The only way to check for this is to take both struts out, remove both springs and place them side by side on a flat surface to check that they have equal free length. You could also have a sagged rear spring, which (assuming equal length front springs) would be the one diagonally opposite to the high front corner of the car. While you had the springs off the struts, also check the upper spring seat rubber inserts. And, check the rubber bushes at the bottom of the struts, i.e. the ones fitted in the lower control arms.

Your unequal camber is likely to be related to the difference in side to side ride height, fix this and the unequal camber problem might well disappear.

JohnL 09-05-2008 01:42 AM

ORIGINAL: xpieceofcralpx

hmm , this is similar to my problem to, i noticed about a week or so ago, my front driver side sits about 1/2 - 1" lower then the front passenger side.both rears look pretty even. i changed my springs andshocks about amonth ago. what can be the problem?
Poor quality springs sagging prematurely and uneqally??

pshadey 09-05-2008 07:47 PM

:eek:You know i think your right. I work at a shop (but not a mechanic, and my mechanic is a jerk and won't look at my car) but any way i pulled my honda in the other day and checked the ride height at each wheel(wheel to top of fender) and they read as follows. pass-front 4 1/2", pass-rear 3 3/4",drvr-rear 3 1/4", drvr-front 3 3/4". I think i am going to get some drop springs and see if it levels out. What do you recomend a good drop is for a 92 honda accord. I don't want it sitting on the ground just a good height for better handling. I think 2" may be to extreme i want to be able to get over speed bumps and i'm a big dude!!!

JohnL 09-05-2008 09:40 PM

I don't know which specific springs to recommend for you, but the lower you go the stiffer the springs need to be. Big drops are rarely advisable as it can create all sorts of issues, including messing with the suspension geometry (and I don't just mean changing the camber, it messes with more esoteric but important stuff like the 'camber curve', roll centre locations etc.). A modest drop would be fine, though the definition of 'modest' may vary...

pshadey 09-08-2008 10:57 AM

I think i'm going to go 1 1/2" drop zone...

klrspz 09-08-2008 12:19 PM

I think i'm gunna go on a walk today.... ????

Is this in relation to anything? Is there a question involved?

falkore24 09-08-2008 12:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Going for a walk like this???
Attachment 22313

pshadey 09-08-2008 04:24 PM

Yea if you would have read the entire forum conversation then you would understand the previous post..... But just in case you don't want read then i was referring to the size of suspension drop i was wanting to do on my 92 accord. and i was wandering if a 1 1/2" drop would make a noticeable difference.. i think that 2" would be to low.... and i was kinda throwing a brand name out there to see what you people thought about drop zone springs.....if you don't recommend them then what kind do you recommend....

There's the question????????

falkore24 09-08-2008 04:47 PM

Don't mind Spaz, I think he's in an "I'm going to screw with everyone" kind of mood lately. I'm sure that he knew what you meant as well.

I've seen WBAng suggest Drop Zone before, but I don't have any personal experience with them. Look into Tein Basic and Eibach Pro-Kit. Maybe Progress too, but I'd expect them to be a bit lower and harder than the others.

At the end of the day, you have to do your own research and figure out these items for yourself:

1. Fixed or variable height
a. If fixed: linear or progressive windings in the springs
2. Fixed or variable dampening
a. If variable: On board adjustment?
3. How stiff do you want the springs to be?
4. How low do you want it to be?
5. Is this more for show or handling characteristics?
6. How does everything above compare to the other equipment in your setup?
-Are Zeal coilovers well suited for a DD with OEM sways? Not at all!

pshadey 09-08-2008 09:23 PM

Tien or eibach would asking way to much for myself they are a little out of my budget... now believe me i understand you get what your paying for.. and if i could afford either of the two i defitinitly would.... but i have a small budgetfor carmods(don't mistake that for ricer). so i want to get the best things my budget allows for..

falkore24 09-09-2008 08:32 AM

If that's the case, save up for another month or so. Springs are under $300. The labor to install them is over half of that in most cases. Cheap springs will be at least $125 ....... just save and do the job once and right.