Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   Tail Lights staying on? (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/tail-lights-staying-49283/)

Dr.Drake 08-01-2012 02:09 PM

Tail Lights staying on?

My tail lights are staying on even with the car off and headlight (nighttime running lights) switch turned off. This is causing the battery to drain and preventing me from driving my car. Let me state again that it is the tail lights, NOT THE BRAKE LIGHTS. Everything I have read says it is the brake switch but that doesn't seem right to me because its not the brake lights. ANY help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Drake

Forgot to mention, It is a 1996 Lx model 4door 2.2sohc

rampcrawler 08-01-2012 04:32 PM

check the brake light switch anyway, is there any pieces of the rubber stopper on the floor. mine just broke 2 days ago

poorman212 08-01-2012 09:24 PM

Double check....have someone/somthing press the brake pedal and view the "lights" in both situations.

If it is the running lights staying on, then I hope you have a volt meter for the fun to begin......I hate electrical issues.

WheelBrokerAng 08-02-2012 02:08 AM

Did you get them fixed yet.?

Dr.Drake 08-02-2012 07:16 AM

i haven't had time to look at it since the post. Am driving my Harley Truck to and from work. hopefully get to look at it tonight when i get home.

Dr. Drivability 08-02-2012 09:37 AM

are the front park lamps staying on too?

if so, i would suspect the combination switch.

Dr.Drake 08-02-2012 02:16 PM

thats a good question, im not sure because i no longer have park lamps on it because the bumper doesnt allow it. i could try checking it though. TRY - big emphasis on that word lol

Goldfinger24k 03-31-2018 07:52 PM

Reviving an old post here. Was this problem ever resolved? I'm having the same problem on my 98 Accord. The tail lights are staying on. The front parking lights are off. It is not the brake lights that are on. The lights in the trunk panel are also on. However, the side marker lights in the rear bumper are not. It is only the lights across the back. The brake lights work properly when pressing the pedal.

redbull-1 03-31-2018 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Goldfinger24k (Post 379883)
Reviving an old post here. Was this problem ever resolved? I'm having the same problem on my 98 Accord. The tail lights are staying on. The front parking lights are off. It is not the brake lights that are on. The lights in the trunk panel are also on. However, the side marker lights in the rear bumper are not. It is only the lights across the back. The brake lights work properly when pressing the pedal.

Your Accord is not the same generation as the original poster; so, the circuit are not exactly the same.

What trim level is your Accord (e.g., EX, LX, DX, etc.)? Even in your generation Accord, there are slight differences in the circuits depending on trim level.

Goldfinger24k 04-01-2018 10:03 AM

Mine is a 98 LX coupe. 2.3, 5 speed.