General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Static Electricity?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 12:07 PM
Default Static Electricity?

This may sound weird. My 2000 LX 5spd shocks the crap out of me and my wife nearly every time we get out of the car. As soon as you touch anything metal on the outside of the car ofter you have been riding in it, you get shocked (you know, like a BIGstatic electricity shock.) Now that it is getting hot and humid outside (it was 90 yesterday) the shocking seems to be going away. But when it cools down and is not humid some days, the shocking starts again.
I have not been too concerned about it, but my wife keeps getting madder and madder every time she gets shocked (It does actually kind of hurt.) She actually suggested I ask you guys. It ONLY happens in my car. Never happens in hers.
Has anyone else ever had this problem before?
Does anyone think something is wrong with my car?
Any suggestions?

Old 03-26-2007, 02:23 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Static Electricity?

Hold onto the door frame before you put your foot on the ground.
Techs that jump in and out of cars all day have to learn that trick [sm=smiley11.gif]

Old 03-26-2007, 02:48 PM
Super Moderator

You can try spraying scotchguard or some other antistatic spray designed for furniture on your seats to stop static buildup. Just test on a small hidden area to make sure it won't damage the upholstery.

Old 03-26-2007, 03:37 PM

Occasionally have the same problem with mine, it does hurt too. But just consider it part of the car's personality getting back at me for driving rough.

Old 03-26-2007, 04:26 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

It would be worse in the winter because of the dry air. I vaguely remember that from mr. wizard.

Old 03-26-2007, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator

Humid air allows more water molecules on surfaces and prevents static charge from building up.

The antistatic sprays do the same thing, but the spray has molecules that don't evaporate like water.

There is nothing wrong with your car. Static just builds up when there is motion/friction between to surfaces.

Old 03-26-2007, 04:56 PM

Thanks guys. I'll try the scotchgard and tell my wife to grab the doorframe before her feet touch the ground.

Shadow that picture is awesome. I am also highly impressed with your ride. Do you have any pics or videos of it?

Old 03-26-2007, 04:59 PM

i'm wondering if he has one of those seat covers on that you get from wal-mart or auto stores.the ones that has designs on them. i don't have that problem withthis car. but i getshock everytimewhen i'm in my grand am cuz i have those seat covers on them.

Old 03-26-2007, 06:17 PM
Almost A Senior Member

The exact same thing happens to me. I find that when I step out, if I touch the rear door (assuming it's shut) before I reach to close my door, I don't get shocked. See if that works for you.

Old 03-26-2007, 06:44 PM

Use this as needed. For me it's about once a month in the "zappiest" time of the year[sm=insomnia.gif]

http://www.walgreens.com/store/produ...ec=frgl_657172

Quick Reply: Static Electricity?