General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

91' Tough gear shifting

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 11:03 AM
BlackFX4
Unregistered
Default 91' Tough gear shifting

First post so here goes... I'm familiar with forum etiquette so I searched for topics related to the issue I am having before I posted this.

Let me preface... 1991 Accord EX Sedan 5 speed 112,000.

I bought this car back in June with 106,000 miles from the original owner who supplied all maintenance records. I would say it is in true mint conditiondespite it's vintage and has been flawless since I took over ownership. I bought it to save a little bit on gas over my pick up (hence the username) and it has since become my primary vehicle. I had some yard work to do this weekend so I used my truck all weekend as well as Monday and Tuesday. I got in the car today and started it for the first time in 4 days. Car started right up and I let it warm up for about 30 seconds or so (until the RPM's dropped from high idle). I then proceeded to put the car in first gear. This was a no go. I figured I may be in some sort of no man's land with regards to the synchros so I attempted to put it in reverse so I could move back a couple inches and then shift in to first. No go once again. I noticed that when I was pushing hard to get in to first the car had a slight forward motion; same when trying to engage reverse. After some substantial force I was able to get the car to go in to first, thensecond and progressively through the other gates as I accelerated. It seemed as thecar warmed up the stiffness in theshifting seemed to dissipate. I will note that the clutch pedal felt a little spongy too. I'm not sure if this was in my head or not though since this was the first time I put any thought in to the clutch/trans while driving this car. Does this sound familiar to any other owners w/ this model and year? I have visions of sitting at a light and not being able to get the car in to first and I would like to avoid this at any cost. Thank you for you time. E

Old 11-12-2008, 07:43 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 91' Tough gear shifting

For the clutch action check the fluid level, and look under the dash where the clutch master comes thru the firewall to see if there is any fluid seepage.
The clutch master usually fails before the slave; never figured that one out, as they both work together and the same amount.
Be sure that 'someone' [insert mental midget pic here] hasn't filled the trans with 80w90 gear oil. Honda Manual Trans Fluid is what is supposed to be in there. 10w30 will work also.