Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   Transmission Fluid help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/transmission-fluid-help-40085/)

PAhonda 05-15-2011 01:28 PM

The transmission holds about 9 quarts, but only drains 3. The other 6 quarts remain in the torque converter. So when you change your fluid, you only replace 33%. Once you drive, you mix the remaining with the new stuff.

As poorman said, if the fluid looked bad after that , you can drain and refill again. The 3 quarts you drain would be 1 qt new and 2 quarts old. When you refill, the transmission fluid would be 56% new fluid.

poorman212 05-15-2011 01:29 PM

Changing the fluid is called by some "a drain and fill". The trans holds somewhere around 8~9 quarts. Changing/draining the fluid you only get ~3 out. So there is still "some" amount of old fluid left-torque converter, ect. So by "mixing" in fresh, running for some time then doing another drain and fill you get more "fresh" fluid in it.

This job is really easy, remove drain bolt, fluid drains out, re-install drain bolt (with or without new washer-starting a debate), fill trans. Start car, move thru gears, check fluid level, make sure it is correct.....done.

EDIT: I see PA posted as I was typing slow and once again a much better job of explaining......

Tek310 05-15-2011 07:15 PM

just a added question. is there a filter that needs to be replaced?

EXV6NIGHTHAWK 05-15-2011 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Tek310 (Post 240490)
just a added question. is there a filter that needs to be replaced?

The 4 cylinder has an in-line filter. The V6 has a filter too, but Honda pretends it doesn't exist.

Tek310 05-15-2011 09:22 PM

does need to be replaced? i am looking to drain and fill my tranny on my f22b1 and surely it needs to be replpaced with 189,000 miles

EXV6NIGHTHAWK 05-15-2011 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Tek310 (Post 240505)
does need to be replaced? i am looking to drain and fill my tranny on my f22b1 and surely it needs to be replpaced with 189,000 miles

Only 2003+ models have an external filter. Your car has no servicable filter.

Accord Owner 05-18-2011 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda (Post 240459)
The transmission holds about 9 quarts, but only drains 3. The other 6 quarts remain in the torque converter. So when you change your fluid, you only replace 33%. Once you drive, you mix the remaining with the new stuff.

As poorman said, if the fluid looked bad after that , you can drain and refill again. The 3 quarts you drain would be 1 qt new and 2 quarts old. When you refill, the transmission fluid would be 56% new fluid.

So there is no way to drain all 9?

So draining 3 and adding 3 is a normal process?

EXV6NIGHTHAWK 05-18-2011 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Accord Owner (Post 240766)
So there is no way to drain all 9?

So draining 3 and adding 3 is a normal process?

The only way to get all the fluid out would be to take the transmission out and take it apart. I don't think you want to do that. Yes, draining 3 quarts, and refilling is the normal way. Depends what the first 3 quarts you drain out looks like, and how much metal is stuck to the drain plug magnet, to know if you need to do it again.

Accord Owner 05-19-2011 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by honda69 (Post 240789)
i will prefer the something like minute oil change shop the guys doing wery good job and more and using genuine parts always

Its the Pennzoil 10 minute oil change. They are very fast in doing it. Not sure how good though.

They said they would do Transmission oil that I bring from Honda so I went to Honda to do this an they charged me $74.86 with exterior car wash and inspections. Is this a rip-off?

Accord Owner 05-19-2011 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by EXV6NIGHTHAWK (Post 240796)
The only way to get all the fluid out would be to take the transmission out and take it apart. I don't think you want to do that. Yes, draining 3 quarts, and refilling is the normal way. Depends what the first 3 quarts you drain out looks like, and how much metal is stuck to the drain plug magnet, to know if you need to do it again.

Honda did this for me and now the oil is light brown from when it was black. Is this normal?