Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   Transmission service 2006 Accord (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/transmission-service-2006-accord-2659/)

mpanelli 04-10-2006 02:36 AM

Transmission service 2006 Accord

I was making an appointment to have my first transmission service at 15,000. I called the dealership and spoke with the service department and found out that on the 2006 (probably others) the "service" is just a drain and fill. No filters etc. For this the dealership gets $54.99.
I decided to do it myself and found that a "drain" of the transmission fluid removes approx 3 quarts of fluid leaving quite a bit behind in the torque converter. Anyways, 3 quarts of HONDA fluid and the crush washer cost about $13.00. Thats quite a bit less than the $55 at the dealership.
Since the drain and fill does not remove all of the fluid I am planning on doing it at every oil change. I change the oil every 6-8 weeks. If I do this I will do a complete fluid change every 15,000 miles.
Does this make sense or am I missing something?
When the dealership does the service are they doing anything else?
Thanks

lightshow 04-10-2006 04:56 AM

RE: Transmission service 2006 Accord

excellent service to your car i do applaude. the best thing to do to your tranny is a drain and refill, and it will be just under 3 quarts. you should just do it every 15000 miles, although i cant really think of anything negative about doing it sooner than that. dont worry about a complete fluid change. its good to keep most of the old stuff in there.

sir_nasty 04-10-2006 04:52 PM

The dealership probably isn't doing anything different but I'm sure they have a one hour minimum charge or something... so they hit you for about $45.00 in labor and $10.00 in parts (their cost) all they MIGHT do is check your radiator fluid, oil, windsheild washer fluid and a basic engine check... They just do complimentary stuff.... I'd do it all myself as well...

brad6841 04-10-2006 06:53 PM

the crush washer
Would I need one of these for a 2002 V6 Auto? Or do are there links on here to pages with service explainions? (new to site, haven't had a chance to fully look around)

Thanks,

sir_nasty 04-10-2006 07:37 PM

It's a good idea to get one... they're cheap and if you don't replace it you have a much higher risk of leaks... Just ask for one when you get your fluid.

longhornjohn 05-10-2006 10:41 PM

I don't understand why the 2006 Accord doesn't have a filter, but I can't find mention of one in my manual.

I don't understand why we have to use Honda transmission fluid. I think Mobil and Amsoil synthetic transmission fluid meets Honda Z1 spec. The Magnuson-Moss act passed by congress requires a company to provide free fluid when the company states their fluid is required.

What is different about Honda DOT 3/ DOT 4 brake fluid than American DOT/ DOT 4 brake fluid? All of the Honda fluids are made in the USA by someone since the container doesn't state made in Japan (or China).

Why would their power steering fluid be different than USA produced fluid? The container doesn't state made in Japan. Their coolant mixture uses the animal friendly glycol instead of ethylene glycol so why is it different.

All of our American brand vehicles always state to use their Delco, Mopar, etc. fluids for the best performance.

deserthonda 05-11-2006 05:19 AM

ORIGINAL: longhornjohn

I don't understand why the 2006 Accord doesn't have a filter, but I can't find mention of one in my manual.

I don't understand why we have to use Honda transmission fluid. I think Mobil and Amsoil synthetic transmission fluid meets Honda Z1 spec. The Magnuson-Moss act passed by congress requires a company to provide free fluid when the company states their fluid is required.

What is different about Honda DOT 3/ DOT 4 brake fluid than American DOT/ DOT 4 brake fluid? All of the Honda fluids are made in the USA by someone since the container doesn't state made in Japan (or China).

Why would their power steering fluid be different than USA produced fluid? The container doesn't state made in Japan. Their coolant mixture uses the animal friendly glycol instead of ethylene glycol so why is it different.

All of our American brand vehicles always state to use their Delco, Mopar, etc. fluids for the best performance.

to answer a few of your questions.......

# 1 .. none of the honda automobiles have a easy replacable filter,, there is a filter in the tranny but it sits below the valve body. which requires total disassamblement of the tranny to get to it,

# 2 ...if other tranny fluid meet all the specs of the Honda ATF-Z1 ,, i see no reason why one cannot use it. i guess by using Z1 one feels safer cause it is reccomendedand believe it or not it has made a difference on some of the trannies i have serviced using z1 , versus other products.

# 3 ...no difference in DOT/3 ,, 4 .. you can buy and use the one sold at Autozone or any other local parts store

# 4,, you can also get non Honda ( factory ) p/s fluid as long as it says it is for honda cars .

# 5.. you can use regular coolant ,no need to buy Honda coolant

poff1986 05-12-2006 01:19 AM

OK everyone, i know very very few of you know what i know. BUT HONDAS TRANSMISSIONS DONT HAVE FILTERS, they have a screen inside and a magnet on the bottom bolt. if this is an automatic you just need to drain and fill. thats all honda specifies and honda also doesnt reccomend transmssion flushes. As i said all you have to do is drain and fill either on automatic or manual. So save the money and do it once every 30,000 miles. In reply to Longhorn as well, ive heard that if honda power steering fluid is not used in hondas it could cause a powersteering pump failure. No clue why but its what ive heard.

deserthonda 05-12-2006 03:02 AM

it is not a filter as one would envision a filter that you can replace ,,you are correct it is a metal filtering screen .
At the dealer we always did a drain and refill. we never flushed the tranny... but think for a second ..

wouldn't you rather get all the dirty fluid out of the torque convertor as well?? and fill it with all new fluid ?
or would you rather add 3 qts of clean fluid to 2 qts or so of dirty fluid that stays in the torque convertor ??
I don't know about you but ,,,,Personally i rather have all new clean fluid ..

As for p/s fluid you DO NOT have to buy the fluid at the dealer ,, as long as it is Honda compatable it is ok,, i have personally used it before and have never had an isuue , you can get it at your local Autozone..

longhornjohn 05-14-2006 05:06 PM

deserthonda:
Are Honda autotrans converters different than GM and Ford converters? It use to be that the only way you could drain their converters would be to remover the converter drain plug. I believer their present converters can only be drained by removing the converter. If Honda's autotrans is built this way then the converter oil can't be flushed out. Personally, I hope they can be flushed out because I don't want the band and clutch material residue staying in the unit.