General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Setting base timing when re-installing distributor

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 09:37 PM
Philthy
Unregistered
Default Setting base timing when re-installing distributor

Currently, I amworking on a '98 Accord DX with a non-VTEC 2.3L, and to fix an oil leak from the distributor shaft, I had to remove the distributor and replace the o-ring. Installation is a no-brainer, but I am unsure if there is a procedure for settingbase timingbefore I actually tighten down the distributor bolts. I did scribe reference marks before I removed it, but the distributor was replaced not too long ago and I know the person who did it just tightened it down without thinking twice about the timing. The computer on this model controls the timing curve, and since there are no timing specs listed on the VECI label under the hood (only valve lash), it's very possible there is no procedure and I just tighten it down any way it goes in and the computer will compensate. But, it's also possible thereis a specific way to do it, and I want to make sure it is done right. Since I don't have a factory service manual (Haynes isn't any help), I was wondering if anyone might be able to help me out. I appreciate anything.

Old 03-13-2007, 10:32 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Setting base timing when re-installing distributor

My '98 has the VTEC engine, but I suppose yours should be similar. The distributor mounting holes aren't slotted, so you can't really adjust it. Besides, timing is controlled by sensors down at the crankshaft. So you should be OK just bolting it up.

ps... check the blade on the end of the distributor shaft. It's off-center, so it should only go in one way. But it's possible to put it backwards, if you hammer it into place. If it doesn't go in nicely, turn the distributorshaft 180 & try again.

Old 03-14-2007, 02:15 AM
Philthy
Unregistered

Thanks for the reply. That seems like themore logical answer, although the mounting holes on this distributor are slotted. I'll bolt it up using my reference marks and check the base timing after I've warmed up the engine and jumped the SCS connector. Since the under-hood label doesn't list timing specs and Haynes tells me to look at the label, does anybody know what the base timing is for this motor?

Old 03-14-2007, 02:48 AM
Super Moderator

my 95 is 15 degrees +/- 2, its a 2.2L Vtec. Your base timing might be different.

You could call your Honda Service Department, and they might tell you what the base timing should be set at.

Old 03-14-2007, 03:12 AM
Super Moderator

You got the right procedure, warm & jumper the SCS connector.

Look at the crankshaft pulley. There's a single notch to the right, and a group of 3 to the left. The single one is TDC and the group of 3 is stock spark timing +/- it's tolerance. Using those marks, you DO NOT want to set any advance in your timing light (if it has that feature).

Old 03-14-2007, 03:47 PM
Philthy
Unregistered

I didn't realize those marks existed on the crank pulley. Obviously, I'm used to seeing a degree plate on the timing cover, as opposed to the exact marks on the pulley. That sure makes it unmistakable. As for the distributor, I bolted itdown and the timing checked out perfectly. Thanks again!