Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   Under-carriage Rust in my 03accord (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/under-carriage-rust-my-03accord-26045/)

bvin2k 06-15-2009 01:48 PM

Under-carriage Rust in my 03accord

Hi,
I recently bought a 03 accord from somebody who was previously in VT. Now I found that it has got lot of Under-carriage Rust. I don't know how to remove /stop it from spreading. I checked the local honda dealer and they don't do any kind of rust treatment. I even checked with couple of body-shops and none of them do rust treatment.
Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

JimBlake 06-15-2009 02:09 PM

Look in your phone book for places that sell supplies to auto-body shops. Like paint. You'll want to look for products like rust-converter and rust prevention stuff. Some of that stuff sprays on from an aerosol can. Sometimes that stuff is gooey like grease. It will be important that you do NOT obstruct any drain holes on the underside of the car.

bvin2k 06-16-2009 03:34 PM

There are many rust treatment sprays. I am not sure which is good. Moreover I am scared to do it myself. So looking out for some shop.

TexasHonda 06-16-2009 08:03 PM

Search "bobistheoilguy.com" for "rust prevention". There was a long thread on undercoatings to prevent rust. My take was that the oil/waxy coatings worked best but had to be renewed every 2-3 yrs. One "roll-your-own" spray was mixture of toilet bowl wax seal and kerosene sprayed on underbody. Canandians raved about some underbody spray (another oily/waxy spray) that was commericially available but I've forgot the name.

good luck

dgp1961 06-17-2009 06:26 AM

You will be hard-pressed to find someone that will treat a vehicle already with a rusting problem. What's to keep you from coming back a year later and claiming their treatment didn't work and want compensation? Not saying you would just a thought. Most people as you have seen are out of the business. Remember "Rusty Jones??"

draser 06-17-2009 09:40 AM

There are all kind of rust treatments out there. The stuff that auto parts store sells did not work for me - I'm in MI.
What seems to work is POR 15, a specialized paint that seals the rust in. Had treated my VW underbody and went thru a few MI winters, still looks good.
Critical is surface prep, wire brush the rust off best you can, degrease surface with mineral spirit before wire brushing, and after. Then use Metal Prep, a diluted phosphoric acid solution that eats some of the rust off and leaves a coat of phosphate on the surface. Then cover with POR, wear respirator, 1-2 coats.
You'll find POR and Metal Prep at auto painter's supply stores, or online. If the surface will be exposed to light, need to cover with a final coat of paint, since POR reacts to UV rays. If you do that, spray some primer over POR when still tacky, then final coat after it's dry.
Then you can undercoat on top of that.

TexasHonda 06-17-2009 12:17 PM

POR15 is good stuff, but application is messy. It sticks to everything, including you and is very, very difficult to remove. I did not find any solvents that would remove after dry. It has to wear off, a 3-4 day process. It is very difficult to perform adequate surface prep on rusted underbody.

good luck

ZionsWrath 06-17-2009 07:33 PM

Is there special paint for the undercarriage? I noticed two small rust spots on mine when I was changing oil and wonder if I can just sand it and put some paint on it?

dgp1961 06-18-2009 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by ZionsWrath (Post 175270)
Is there special paint for the undercarriage? I noticed two small rust spots on mine when I was changing oil and wonder if I can just sand it and put some paint on it?

If it's only underneath Rust Oleum would be fine. Need to be sure you pay close attention to cleaning and sanding all existing rust.

JimBlake 06-18-2009 07:27 AM

RustOleum & others make some kind of rust converter product to use first (turn rust into black magnetite). Then paint or whatever to match the rest of the underside.