Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   Is VCM a reliable technology? (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/vcm-reliable-technology-30908/)

rykertest 02-21-2010 07:18 AM

Is VCM a reliable technology?

I was looking over the honda website the other night, and I really like the new accord coupe. I was halfway entertaining the idea of test driving one and then I cam across the cylinder managment stuff that is apparently the only option on hondas anymore.

Now I will readily admit that I don't know all the in's and out's of this setup, but I am rather suspicious at it's ability to last. My older honda (97) has over 202,000 mile son it and it still running pretty good and has been by in large trouble free. I have serious doubts that this technology would be able to provide the same performance, but I don't know why, technically, I feel that way.

If they offered the v6 in just a regular 6 (straight would be ideal like a bmw) then I would be all over it, but now, I'm looking at other options, especially since they took the diesel off the table. :(

Those of you in the know, what do you think about this vcm business, and has it proven itself to stand the test of time?

Thank you.

hondadude 02-21-2010 02:15 PM

I think you can get the 'normal' 6 with the manual trans, or maybe in the coupe.
I haven't been impressed so far by the VCM.
The fuel milage won't be what you expect either.
Google search "honda VCM problem".
Have the dealership throw in a free set of motor mounts with the new car. :D

rykertest 02-21-2010 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by hondadude (Post 196653)
I think you can get the 'normal' 6 with the manual trans, or maybe in the coupe.
I haven't been impressed so far by the VCM.
The fuel milage won't be what you expect either.
Google search "honda VCM problem".
Have the dealership throw in a free set of motor mounts with the new car. :D

Hey Hondadude thanks for the reply. I was looking at the coupe but I wanted an automatic, I'm american you know. :P

I will keep looking and hopefully they will do away with this crap. I was all set to get another honda but the more I read about them, the more I develop doubts that they will last or be as trouble free as my older one.

I will google it but is there one aspect of the vcm that causes problems?

I'm actually leaning towards a subaru or maybe even a bwm if they out their diesel in an awd sedan.

HondaFool 10-24-2010 06:55 PM

Honda VCM

I owned a 2006 V-6 Accord with Nav and several other nice add-ons. Loved the car but did notice that the VCM was not "undetectable" when switching from 3 to 4 to 6 cylinders. Well, that's a lie, when I stomped on the accelerator I didn't notice it going from 3 or 4 to 6. But on a slight grade running around 60-65 there was this constant "hunting" for the right number of cylinders. 3 or 4, 3 or 4 3 or 4...and on and on it went. I either had to run it up to 70-75 or slow it down.

It began to bother me to the point that I started getting really irritated. When I began to do some research I found out I wasn't the only one upset with Honda and its V-6 technology.

I finally had enough and in February, after driving the only 2010 V-6 Accord I could find without the VCM (2-door coupe with manual transmission) I decided to go with the EX-L Nav. Its 190 HP engine is no match for the 271 HP in the V-6 but it's got reasonable power and outstanding economy. I've got most of the bells and whistles I had with the 2008 except that Honda has deleted the interior "ambience" lighting and the dash pocket light. Otherwise, it's almost identical, sans the power.

Why did I do this after only 2 years? I was scared that when the time came in 3-4 years to trade in the 2008 that the cover would have been blown off on the bad technology...and my Accord wouldn't be worth what you normally expect on a trade-in.

And make no mistake about it, it's bad technology and if Honda continues down this path, instead of ditching it and switching to a 6 speed AT, I'll probably not own another. That's how bad I want to get back into an Accord with a 6-cyl engine.

From what I'm reading and seeing, Hyundai has been more than up to the challenge. I don't want to leave the family, after more than 15 years, but I will if I have to.

fasteddie 06-23-2016 12:34 AM

How To Make Homemade Device To Bypass VCM?

Anyone know how to do this? With pics and instructions? The VCMuzzlerII is rather expensive now (more than double the original price of 35 USD); but I may have to swallow the pill if there's not a much cheaper alternative out there. Thanks!

dgp1961 06-23-2016 06:33 AM

Hmmm I've hit 100,000 miles on my 2009 and was going to do the timing belt in a couple days... Wonder if I should not bother with that investment right now and just take my chances? Am I just being paranoid now??? It did go in a couple years ago for a service bulletin and three fouled plugs were changed out that must of been the reason I never really realized this was the issue at the time. Should I move forward with the 600.00 and still do the timing belt as planned?? Opinions??

PAhonda 06-23-2016 11:39 AM

Two posts asking different questions on the same thread can be confusing.

Question 1: Not sure how VCM is controlled by the vehicle. I suspect the PCM controls this, so not sure there is an easy fix.

Question 2: Take a look in your owner's manual to find out when you should get the belt replaced. If you are close to the miles or years, then get it changed.

dgp1961 06-27-2016 06:21 AM

Did the belt this past Friday at my local dealer. New Timing Belt, Serpentine Belt and new Tensioner $805.00 total including labor and "disposal fees" said I didn't need a Water Pump.