General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 Accord V6 cruise control problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 11:27 AM
Default 2003 Accord V6 cruise control problem

Hello, new to this forum and have a similar question about cruise control but on a 2003 Honda Accord 6 cylinder 2 door coupe. I have searched the forum but have not found any related topics on the 6 cylinder Accord. Cruise stopped working and have replaced the common problems with the steering wheel switch and the brake light switch. Still does not work. The horn works and the brake light works. The cruise light on the dash works but when you try to set the cruise nothing happens even if you hold the switch in. Appreciate any thoughts on this issue.

Old 12-24-2012, 02:03 PM
Super Moderator

Can't remember the gens and set ups right now......be sure the cruise cable is connected to the throttle spool.

Old 12-24-2012, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by poorman212
Can't remember the gens and set ups right now......be sure the cruise cable is connected to the throttle spool.
Is that located under the hood on the passenger side left firewall area with a single line or cable running to it on the 6 cylinder engines? If so, the cable seems intact with the other end of that cable heading back over to the drivers area, down 10" or so and going through the firewall. Is this the correct item I should be looking at? Thanks for your response. Were you in the military?

Old 12-24-2012, 03:29 PM
Super Moderator

The 2003 Accord V-6 had drive-by-wire; so, it didn't have the cruise control actuator cable on the throttle body like the 2003 Accord 4 cylinder. The cam on at the end of the cruise control actuator cable connected to the throttle body was known to break on the 4 cylinders.

Old 12-24-2012, 05:25 PM

So any thoughts on why my cruise is not working? Suggestions?

Old 12-25-2012, 07:47 AM
Super Moderator

Ok, that is what I get for not looking at the gen split.....my bad.

So that I'm clear, the main switch lights up but the one on the gauge does not?

Also are there any codes in the PCM - many stores will check this for free.

Is this an auto or manual trans?

Old 12-25-2012, 09:22 AM

It is an automatic. Have not looked for codes as of yet through an auto parts store. You got me with your statement "So that I'm clear, the main switch lights up but the one on the gauge does not?" On the steering wheel set of buttons, the switch that turns on the cruise does that and it illuminates in the dash. But when you take it for a drive and try to engage the cruise using the "set" button and take your foot off the gas, nothing happens. No light on the dash to indicate you are attempting to engage the cruise even if you hold the button down, no light comes on and there is not a feel in the car that you are under cruise control. Simply, the car begins to slow down. Hope this helps better describe the problem we are having. Also thanks for your help and Merry Christmas!! Your picture to me appears that you may have been in the military, possibly the Marines?

Old 12-25-2012, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator

What led to this? Was it working one day and then just stopped.

When you installed the brake switch, did you verify that pins 3 & 4 have continuity when the pedal is not being pressed. The switch can be tricky.....not quite right and yes the brake lights work fine but the cruise will not...its like two switches together....if that make sense.

Attached Thumbnails 2003 Accord V6 cruise control problem-7th-gen-brake-switch-test.jpg  
Old 12-25-2012, 11:46 AM

As to what occurred with our cruise control, we had noticed the cruise had stopped working. Did a little research and determined the culprit was the steering wheel switch. It simply would not click and turn on the cruise at all. Replaced that and all was good. Months down the road, we noticed the car had no brake lights. Did a little research and found the issue was the brake light switch. Replaced that and thought all was good for we now had brake lights. The next day, my wife was telling me that her cruise control would not work. So this leads me up to where we are now, trying to trouble shoot the cruise control without a manual of any sort but with internet resources and of course your help to this point. It is much appreciated. I will try your suggestion about the brake light switch. It seems when we initially installed the switch, it would not come on till we adjusted the threads one way or the other. Will post again after I get an opportunity to do the tests. Thanks so much. Post anything else you may find to be helpful with this issue. Again, thanks. Oh and thank you for serving our country.

Old 12-25-2012, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds like the switch isn't adjusted properly....based upon the story. Again it can be tricky. The switch needs to be fully closed...plunger pushed all the way in....so it sounds like you need to "screw it into" a tad more.

Thanks for the kind words, my avatar is a picture of my oldest son just after graduation from OCS, USMC.

Quick Reply: 2003 Accord V6 cruise control problem