General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2005 Accord accessories/Radio turns on when car is off and key is out

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 06:31 AM
Default 2005 Accord accessories/Radio turns on when car is off and key is out

Hello, I'm new to the forum but looking for some help. I have a 2005 Honda Accord LX 2.4 AT and the radio and clock turn on overnight by itself and kills the battery over night. It seems/act as though the key is left on the accessory position of the ignition switch but the key is out when this happens. I thought it may have been the ignition switch, had it changed but but that wasn't the problem.
Is there a relay that turns on the accessory position of the ignition switch?
Thank you, poolman

Old 04-04-2014, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

The only source of power for the radio is through the ignition switch assy. If radio is coming on w/ key in OFF position, there must be an ignition switch fault, or less likely a shorted power feed wire.

You can verify faulty ignition switch by pulling fuse 32 (7.5A) in under-dash fuse box. If the system no longer comes on w/ ignition switch OFF, you have verified that power source is through the ignition switch assy.

If power is still available, there must be a short of power feed wire (yel/red) to an full time hot wire in harness. Any aftermarket wiring would be first place to inspect.

good luck

Old 04-05-2014, 05:50 PM

thanks Texashonda, I'll try pulling that fuse then look for problem wires.

Old 04-06-2014, 02:12 PM

I checked all the wiring under dash and in the steering column and didn't find anything that seems like it could be a problem. The car does have a remote starter but I double checked all it's connections and they seem good. I did disable the remote starter by pulling out all the fuses for the time being to rule it out but really don't think that's the problem. It still does it.
Could it be the radio itself?
Maybe a constant power to keep memory is shorting somehow?
Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks, Poolman

Old 04-06-2014, 02:38 PM

I doubt this will work, but you're welcome to try it. I haven't.
Battery Cable Reset For Odd Electrical Problems - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Old 04-06-2014, 02:43 PM
Super Moderator

The battery cable reset is for the MICU, it will have no effect on the problem.

Old 04-06-2014, 04:00 PM
Super Moderator

1. Did you pull under-dash Fuse No. 32 (7.5A) like Texashonda mentioned? Does the radio still have power with it pulled?

2. With Fuse No. 32 pulled; at the back of the audio unit, there is a 20P light blue connector (Connector A). With a voltmeter's black lead touching chassis metal/ground, touch the meter's red lead the the Yel/Red wire at pin 2, to see if there is still voltage coming through. Yel/Red is a wire with yellow insulation and a red stripe running through it.

Attached Thumbnails 2005 Accord accessories/Radio turns on when car is off and key is out-audio-unit.jpg  
Old 04-06-2014, 05:13 PM

With #32 fuse pulled I still have the same problem. Before today I thought that the whole Acc. circuit was coming on but I'm pretty sure it's just the radio because the cig lighter output only comes on with the key turned to "acc." and "on" and not coming on as part of the problem. I haven't exposed the back of the radio yet but I'm thinking that might be the next place to look. Is there a way of testing the radio? What is the cost of a new radio? It seems as though the heater controls are integrated into the radio??? Thank you everyone for your help, I can't wait to put this problem behind us? Thanks, Pooolman

Old 04-06-2014, 06:54 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Suggest removing fuse 5 in the under-dash fuse box. This supplies unswitched power to the audio unit. An internal fault of audio unit could allow radio to operate through this always hot path.

If this stops the radio from operating w/ switch off, then a new audio unit is likely only option. Check ebay and car-part.com for used units. Probably an aftermarket unit will be cheaper.

good luck

Old 04-06-2014, 07:56 PM

Does fuse five supply a constant power for clock and memory along with power for when the radio is turned on? I removed fuse 5 and the radio and clock hasn't come on yet, I'm going to give it a few days and see what happens. If it stays off I'm going to pull the radio and check all the connectors. If it seems like an internal radio problem I might look into a used ebay unit or maybe sending it out for repair. I'm still open for suggestions.. Thanks, Poolman

Quick Reply: 2005 Accord accessories/Radio turns on when car is off and key is out