Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   weird rpm (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/weird-rpm-28462/)

97AccHondaMan 10-12-2009 07:56 PM

well it did it again last night on the highway. the rpm dropped down and when i tapped the throttle then came right back up. it does not go into neuttral, does not feel like it. no issues if i keep my foot on the throttle. nothing happens on turns. dont know about the fuel filter, but i am going to replace it in a few days when i do a tune up. and i dont think the converter is clogged. but i will check those things out in the next few days. thanks for the advice guys.

cuatro201821 10-12-2009 11:12 PM

I've gone about searching and those were just some of the things I thought might be causing what I'm experiencing. I know what you mean when you say it doesn't feel like it goes into neutral...its just a quick loss of power that comes right back. That's why I thought maybe fuel wasn't burning or not getting enough for that quick moment....or maybe something was blocking the gasses from escaping out of the pipe.

JimBlake 10-13-2009 06:45 AM

Maybe misfiring caused by ignition? That would be a sudden sharp drop in power (to zero actually) and the tach would drop to zero. But it doesn't last long enough for the tach needle to actually reach zero.

I think I'd go chasing ignition problems (or even fuel problems) before blocked exaust. I don't see how the exhaust can become blocked & then suddenly UN-blocked. Seems like it would stay blocked.

cuatro201821 10-13-2009 12:32 PM

Jim, hopefully you can help me with my problem before I do any costly work.
As I said I feel a sudden drop or the engine will cut off from giving too much throttle from idle. I tried today with my hood open and saw the pcv valve just jump right out of place as the engine cut off. I just replaced the valve last week. It hasn't had any trouble with shifting or downshifting (auto) to speed up. Their is little moisture where the spark plug wires sit. It doesn't act erraticaly as if oil has fouled a plug.

JimBlake 10-13-2009 12:59 PM

Might be a different problem? Not sure yet. I wonder if 97AccMan can check if his PCV valve jumps out of the socket. That sounds real strange, like something is pressurizing the crankcase?

If it's different, then it would be less confusing if you (cuatro) made a new thread.

97AccHondaMan 10-15-2009 09:42 PM

well i have yet to find the problem. i did check the pcv valve, it does not jump out of the vale cover. so i am going to do a tune up soon and change the plugs, wires, rotor and cap, and i will probably change the fuel filter as well. mabye one of those things might do the trick. wish me luck, thanks guys.

o CRA5H o 10-17-2009 12:12 AM

u could try running some fuel injector cleaner thru ur system as well. when ur on the highway u have a certain fuel pressure and when u lift off the gas it stumbles. could be dirty injectors? ur not puttin the same fuel pressure thru them when u lift off.....

jmtdaddy 10-17-2009 10:20 AM

i dont know a lot about hondas yet but my s-10 was doing that and it was the torque converter in the trans my honda is 5-speed so i dont no but just a suggestion