Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   What else can I do to prolong life of 98 Accord? (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/what-else-can-i-do-prolong-life-98-accord-2514/)

emaxxman 03-29-2006 09:10 PM

What else can I do to prolong life of 98 Accord?

Well, my 98 EX-L sedan has been my daily commuter for about 2 months now. I need to make sure it runs trouble free for the next 4 years while I pay off the new Ody I got my wife. The Accord has 144k miles on it.

Oil has been changed every 3000 miles. Air filters and plugs every 15k approximately.

Here's what was just done (all at 143k):
[ul][*] Timing Belt, water pump, drive belts, coolant replacement as part of water pump service[*] Trans fluid drained and refilled - reddish brown color...no burned odors...trans seems to shift smoothly. Plan to change again at 148k and then every 15k afterwards (about 1 year's driving)[*] Brake fluid flushed[*] Dist Rotor/cap/plugs/air filter replaced
[/ul]

Are there any other preventative maintenance or general "good to do's" that I can do to make sure the car runs at its best and ensures a smooth operation for the next 4 years?

SKHEMR 03-29-2006 10:43 PM

RE: What else can I do to prolong life of 98 Accord?

If you brakes and tires are good condition, maybe all you need to do now is a wheel alignment and you should be good.

marbro 03-29-2006 10:51 PM

tranmission and oil coolers. That will help a bit.

deserthonda 03-31-2006 01:18 AM

oil and filter every 3k,,,,,,,,,,,great have all fluid checked and tires inflated to correct psi ,,have them chk the spare tire as well , inflate to 60psi,,,,,
air filter every 15k.......
tranny fluid if auto every 15k use honda ATF-Z1 ..............if manual every 30k use any 10w-30
spark plugs every 30k........if platinum tip plugs every 60k ,,,,,,,,,,, use only NGK brand ..
brake fluid system flush every 30k..
valve adjustment every 30k
tire rotation every 7.5k
timing belt ,,every 75-90 k ...

WheelBrokerAng 03-31-2006 02:45 AM

You appear to have a Great Start on what your trying to accomplise already, I'd say to you to keep up with what your doing and you will more than likely make that a Reality..
Good Luck with it!
WheelBrokerAng :eek:

ORIGINAL: emaxxman

Well, my 98 EX-L sedan has been my daily commuter for about 2 months now. I need to make sure it runs trouble free for the next 4 years while I pay off the new Ody I got my wife. The Accord has 144k miles on it.

Oil has been changed every 3000 miles. Air filters and plugs every 15k approximately.

Here's what was just done (all at 143k):
[ul][*] Timing Belt, water pump, drive belts, coolant replacement as part of water pump service[*] Trans fluid drained and refilled - reddish brown color...no burned odors...trans seems to shift smoothly. Plan to change again at 148k and then every 15k afterwards (about 1 year's driving)[*] Brake fluid flushed[*] Dist Rotor/cap/plugs/air filter replaced
[/ul]

Are there any other preventative maintenance or general "good to do's" that I can do to make sure the car runs at its best and ensures a smooth operation for the next 4 years?