Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   What are my chances in passing smog test? (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/what-my-chances-passing-smog-test-50146/)

91WagonGuy 09-10-2012 06:07 PM

What are my chances in passing smog test?

I have a 91 accord and as far as I can tell it has the original engine and emissions equipment. I have 192K miles on it. Only issue is an oil leak. Recently had all vacuum lines replaces. New plugs, wires, distributor, air filter. Pretty much everything I have been told I should do prior to an emissions test but I'm still concerned about it passing.

Years ago I owned a 91 civic and it didn't pass the test and had to have about 500 dollars in work done before it would pass. I see many cars similar in age and mileage on Craigslist that don't seem to pass the test for one reason or another so I'm wondering what are my chances in passing the test on the first try? Anyone out there in CA with a similar year and mileage that had no problems passing?

Like I said I did everything in the book that they suggest you do before taking the test as far as a full tune up so although I am confident it SHOULD pass I am also concerned it might NOT pass.

poorman212 09-10-2012 06:52 PM

I'd say "very good".

Only thing I'd check before going. Check for any stored codes, check all of the bulbs....and go for it. Of course be sure the car is to proper op temp.

If for "some reason" is does not pass, get the details. Like if they say emmisons failed, get the read out.

Dr. Drivability 09-10-2012 06:58 PM

yup, run it through...i'd be curious what the emissions are either way.

AccorDats 09-10-2012 08:09 PM

Before you get it smog, warm up the car for about 30minutes thdn drive it like you stole it. LOL

Or drive it on the freeway for sometime, thats what the smog guy told the truck guy when he didnt pass the smog.

Goodluck

91WagonGuy 09-10-2012 08:27 PM

well the nearest smog guy is at least 30 miles away so I'm sure my engine will be pretty warm when I get there.

91WagonGuy 09-15-2012 05:53 PM

Alright I took the wagon in for her smog test and as expected she FAILED. Seems she will probably need a new CAT. Not completely surprised since it seems most cars this old usually need new smog equipment. Oh well.

PAhonda 09-15-2012 08:59 PM

Before you go replacing the catalytic converter, what reading caused you to fail the test? High CO, NOX, ...?

poorman212 09-16-2012 07:57 AM

I agree with PA - what are the numbers?

This could be as simple as cleaning the egr ports in the intake - your 91 has the "plugs" - kind of like freeze plugs.

91WagonGuy 09-16-2012 08:55 PM

Numbers are as follows....HC (ppm) was 84 and max is 78. N0 (ppm) was 862 and max is 778.....these were measured at 15mph test.

Dr. Drivability 09-17-2012 08:24 AM

Definitely need to check EGR system function and clean ports/valve and or replace any defective parts. As far as the HC's, put a set of plugs in it, check the cap/rotor, when was the last time the valves were adjusted? All those numbers are close, wouldn't condemn the CAT just yet. And run a can of Seafoam through the system and change the oil and check/change the PCV valve. Guess that's all I can think of right now.