General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Noise - 1998 Honda Accord 4 Door VTEC

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 05:04 PM
Default Road Noise - 1998 Honda Accord 4 Door VTEC

Road noise has always been a problem, but as the car has aged driving over a little bump/crack in the road is a major thug which can compet with the radio quite nicely.

Just wondering besides struts and springs (never replaced), what could dampen the sound? I'd change out whatever wear and tear item in a heartbeat if I thought it would calm the noise.

I've had the car since it was new.

Old 05-07-2011, 05:26 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

In my experience, the most likely culprit for noise are the anti-sway bar bushings. Easy diy job also.

Inspect upper and lower ball joints for secure, tight boots and no looseness.

good luck

Old 05-08-2011, 03:58 AM

I live in California. There are garages here where they will do the work, but you have to provide your own parts (some law make it this way). Unless I start to feel a lot more motivated over the next week or so, I think I will buy upper and lower ball joints, link ends for the sway bar and sway bar bushings; and get the guy at the shop to install all of it. The bill shouldn't be that much more to installing all of it vs. just one part since he is working in the same area of the car.

Tomorrow I'm also going to get 4 new tires.

What do you guys think about changing the wheel bearings? I would do this as well if you think it may reduce road noise even just a little. I've never had them changed.

I don't mind spending the $$$$ since I don't have a car payment.

I hope to get motivated enough to do it myself. I had lower back surgery in January (2 discs replaced... fusion taking place) and although my back is doing well, I've become very very very unusually unmotivated. I just wanted to explain my comment about getting motivated.