General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Car will start but will not turn over 98 honda accrod dx

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 11:05 AM
Unhappy Car will start but will not turn over 98 honda accrod dx

Hello

I have a 98 honda accord dx 4 cyl driving car saturday ans check engine light is on but I wa driving and went to the grocery store and got back in the car started up put in drive and gave it gas car shook and cut off and when try to restart will not turn over it will start but will not turn over got a jump that didnt work and I had someone check my spark plugs , distributor cap and rotor button and the battery is good and the starter is good I need help I dont know what Im doing

Old 10-10-2012, 06:24 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

First a bit of language. "start but not turn over". I suspect you mean engine will "turn over but not start", but there's a difference when only info we get on this end is backwards.

If "turn over but not start" is correct, then suggest following checks:

1) Turn keyswitch to On and listen carefully for a couple of clicks (main fuel relay) under the dash and fuel pump in tank to buzz for 2-3 secs and go off. Check Engine Light should come On w/ keyswitch and go off w/ fuel pump. If you don't have these you have a fuel delivery problem; main fuel relay, fuel pump, or possibly ignition switch assy.

2) If 1) is good, then fuel delivery is OK and spark problem is more likely the problem. Borrow/buy a timing light w/ inductive pickup and check each spark plug lead for spark by connecting the inductive pickup to spark plug lead, trigger timing light, and checking for light flash. No flash means no spark.

Report your findings for further help.

good luck

Old 10-10-2012, 10:52 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Have the person that helped you do this. Instead of buying a timing light buy a compression gauge. They are a lot cheaper. Get the kit from Harbor Freight. Then take out the spark plug and plug the spark plug hole with the compression gauge. Use the straight rubber stopper attachment. Then hold the spark plug while it is plugged into the wire against a grounding point. I like to use a valve cover bolt. Or I use and engine lift point. Have one of you crank the car. You should see the spark and hear the pop frm cylinder compression at about the same time. This will tell you about the compression being well, and tell you if you have spark and at the correct timing. I so this to confirm every cylinder.

If everything check out there then you should check for fuel. To do this you will need a fuel pressure gauge. Hook it up to where the main line connects to the rail. Turn the key on and see if it has a reading. Then if it does let it flow through the gauge and drain the gas into a gas can. Take the reading as it cranks. Then post your results here.

Old 10-11-2012, 10:37 AM

I had my car towed to a shop and found out it is the fuel pump thank you everyone who sent in answers Im getting charged 245.00 PARTS included hope that a good price lol

Old 10-11-2012, 10:42 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I just did the job the other day. It cost me $42 for the parts it was about 2 hours labor.

Old 10-12-2012, 03:28 PM

thanks for letting us know what it was. I would suggest trying out salvage yards for parts. I replaced my fuel pump this summer for $70 it takes 10 bolts and about 15 mins to do.