Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   Window is driving me crazy!!! (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/window-driving-me-crazy-22767/)

Hobbin 01-05-2009 08:05 PM

Window is driving me crazy!!!

If your windows are running slow or stop, then try what I just did.

Problem:
Passenger side window won't roll up some of the time. Will always roll down, no matter what.

Observations:
Window had a hard time going up when it is working. Sometimes will stop. Needs "hand help" sometimes.
Has had very similar problem before, thought to be a faultering switch but never diagnosed...just fixed self
When the window isn't working, neither side can roll the window up. Both, however can roll it down still.

What I did about it~~

1. Clean the window guides with Qtips dipped in rubbing alcohol (Not the track, but the GUIDE that is accessible when the window's rolled down)

The guides were so dirty, there wasn't a time I pulled out a clean Q tip. I just got sick of repeatedly cleaning it, so at some point I just said "good enough"

2. Apply general purpose silicone lube. I was going to go with white lithium grease, but ended up going with regular silicone pyroil. I sprayed the Q tips with the oil, and rubbed them in the guide. I also sprayed a little oil directly into the guide, while rolling the window up and down. I was trying to get the lube down there inside the door, without making a mess.

The silicone worked like a miracle.

Also, I purchased some electronics cleaner....just to clean my contact points. While the key was off (and you probably should disconnect the negative battery cable) I sprayed the electronics cleaner right into the window switch. I toggled the switch while spraying a little in there, hopefully cleaning or protecting the contact points. I did this with all my switches.

Hobbin 01-05-2009 08:29 PM

RE: Window is driving me crazy!!!

I'm going to eliminate the possiblity of "dirty track syndrome" by doing a few things

I found Q tips and alcohol, but need to buy lithium grease or just some plain silicone based grease at Schucks

After I clean the windows tracks, I'm going to buy another bolt and properly secure that motor! The motor kind of rotates around the only bolt that's holding it in place...after I secure it then there won't be any play in the cable.

Will report back... hopefully with good news

hondadude 01-05-2009 09:17 PM

Depends on WHAT YEAR....
Some newer window motors do indeed have an overload breaker in them.

Hobbin 01-05-2009 11:54 PM

94 EX....when did I take that outta my sig? weird

I don't think it's an overload breaker....I'm suspicious of debris being caught in one of the switches.

Lets just say there was fuzz blocking the switch on the drivers side.....would it prevent the passenger side from operating the window? Like I said earlier, both sides could roll the window down, but none could get it to go up.

I should also note that I have just installed a new speaker. It gets pretty darn close to the window

gcleeton 01-06-2009 03:28 AM

Try genuine switch cleaner from RadioShack. Do not use WD40 or any grease. The switch cleaner can be squirted on the switch from the outside and it will penetrate to the contacts - do not dismantle the switch. Work the switch to and fro when you have squirted it. That always worked on my Subarus.
Buffalo Gil

JP98 02-04-2009 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by hondadude (Post 148775)
Depends on WHAT YEAR....
Some newer window motors do indeed have an overload breaker in them.

Dude, you have a 92 legend with 70k???? KA8 or KA7?

I trhew some white lithium grease in the channels and it helped out pretty good. My passenger window still doesnt roll up as fast as my friends 01 though

WheelBrokerAng 02-05-2009 08:18 PM

Help Me Out Here!

Was that good information or was that not so good information...

WheelBrokerAng