General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

noisy power steering

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 09:50 PM
Default noisy power steering

Hello, new here and have some questions on wifes 01 Accord EX with the V6. Took it into shop for timing belt and water pump R&R. On way the Power steering was very noisy. Told the shop I was going to get a new pump while they had stuff apart. Could only get a reman pump so I did. It was installed and the noise remained. Was told that the rack and pinion need R&R only thing available outside of dealer was a reman. It was replaced, noise remained, resevoir would only bubble and puke fluid out! Replaced the pump, now it is very turgid and we still have noise. The high pressure hose has a lot of vibration in it had to move it away from firewall.

So question is, how turbulent is the fluid in the resevoir? was told it sounds like the pump is making too much pressure and keeping air in lines. I dont know, this is only vehicle we have with rack and pinion steering. have R&R pumps on my ranger and were no issues in bleeding same on old maxima daughter had.

So if you can offer any ideas it would be appreciated. Car had maint required light, book said time to R&R the timing belt so did water pump t-stat, rad hoses at the time. Steering noise totally unanticipated.

TIA

Old 01-22-2018, 09:10 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Bubbling fluid is a sure sign that air is being pulled into the PS fluid. This can only happen on the suction side of PS system (reservoir to pump). Usually the fault is a worn out oring on the suction inlet fitting to the pump.

Search function will reveal numerous posts on this problem. YouTube also has many videos on subject.

good luck