General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Wipers won't turn off

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2018, 08:47 PM
Post Wipers won't turn off

2013 Honda Accord LX. 2.4 liter, CVT. I had this car since new. It's in perfect condition. Recently after the car was started, the wipers came on. Windshield wipers won't turn off. Replaced the main switch at the steering wheel (on the opposite side from the turn signal) with the brand new one from Honda - it didn't help. Replaced the wipers motor with the brand new from Honda - it didn't help. I attached the picture of the parts that were replaced for added clarity. Wipers are running when I turn the key in the ignition.... I must pull out the 7.5 Amp fuse to make the wipers stop. Desperate for a solution!

Attached Thumbnails Wipers won't turn off-already_replaced_parts.jpg   Wipers won't turn off-new_motor.jpg  
Old 04-30-2018, 06:12 AM
Super Moderator

This will get more help in General Tech so I'll move it there.

Old 04-30-2018, 06:59 PM
Super Moderator

Some possible culprits:

1. Make sure your car battery is fully charged. A low battery can cause problems with electronics. Check the battery.

2. Faulty Multiplex Integrated Control Unit (MICU) that is integrated into the under-dash fuse/relay box.

3. Faulty Relay Circuit Board that is part of the under-hood fuse/relay box.

4. Short to ground in wiring.

Although you already replaced the wiper switch, unplug the wiper harness connector and turn the Ignition switch to IG1. If the wipers run, this would definitely rule out the switch.

You can try a battery cable reset (to reset the multiplex control system).

Honda has two different methods for the battery cable reset.

1. One method is to disconnect the negative cable (disconnect negative first) and then positive cable. Then connect them together with a jumper wire for 15 minutes.-- Do not touch the battery terminals. You'll need the radio's anti-theft code afterward.

The 15 minute reset doesn't require turning the ignition ON, etc.

2. Honda has a variation of the battery cable reset which requires turning the ignition on and off; but, only requires 10 minutes.

1. Turn the ignition switch to LOCK (0), and remove the key. This lessens the chance of voltage spikes.
2. Disconnect the battery cablesnegative cable first, then positive.
3. Short the battery cables together with a jumper wire.
4. Turn the ignition switch to ON (II), and wait 10 minutes.
5. Turn the ignition switch to LOCK (0), and remove the key.
6. Remove the jumper wire, and reconnect the battery cablespositive cable first, then negative.

Last edited by redbull-1; 04-30-2018 at 07:28 PM.
Old 07-05-2018, 01:55 PM
Default Thank you for your help redbull-1

I wanted to say that I really appreciate the time and effort you contributed in attempt to help me!!! You gave me some great leads on the possible culprit. So far I tried the battery reset, used both methods and kept jumper wire connected for much longer than needed - just to make sure... That unfortunately didn't help. I will now focus on your other recommended methods. One additional thing that I observed is that the wipers will actually turn of after some time, say at 45 seconds, and they will stop at random place on the windshield. I don't know if I didn't notice that behavior before or perhaps the battery reset changed something here... THANKS!!!

Old 07-05-2018, 05:06 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Do you have rain sensing on the car? Have you had a windshield replacement recently? 2 things I would look at

Old 07-05-2018, 07:35 PM

No rain sensing, no new windshield. So since i already did so much work on those wipers, I decided to verify things once again. So far I replaced the switch and the motor with the brand new OEM parts - that didn't help. Then I run the battery reset - as described above in this thread. After that I noticed that wipers would actually stop at random some time after the key is put in the ignition - about 45 seconds later... Again I don't know if I didn't notice that before or if the battery reset made some difference. However, this actually makes me believe that it is NOT the harness because if there was a short of some sort, It would not time out at 45 seconds... I started to play with the relays in the engine fuse box. I removed one at the time and then put the key in the ignition to see if the wipers stopped. I was hoping to perhaps identify the relay that is in control. Unfortunately none of the relays made any difference - wipers kept on going :-(. After I tried them all, I ended up with the engine light on, power steering warning light, traction control light on, and TPMS light on. All attempts to reset those with the vehicle settings or driving few times around the town failed - well until I did the battery cable reset - that cleared all the warnings that came on after the pulling out the relays. I am still in the same spot. All good, but the wipers keep going. I am considering contacting an exorcist because this looks more and more like evil issue... I could use expert advise in figuring my next steps...

Old 07-05-2018, 08:05 PM

Your problem is crazy. There is only 2 things that control it: switch and motor/pulse board. Other than the you have the cables, connector and fuse

Old 07-05-2018, 08:42 PM

Yeah - I am attaching the picture of under the hood fuse box. Pulled all those relays one by one but none of them seemed to stop the wipers (just fishing here...) Also the pic of under the dash fuse box - I didn't mess with that one just yet (and I don't know if I need to?)

except for removing the 7.5A fuse to stop the wipers...Anyone - any ideas?

Old 07-05-2018, 09:16 PM

Do you have a pic of the engine compartment fuse layout. I am seeing number 12 is your motor fuse. Should be a 30 amp

Old 07-05-2018, 09:30 PM

Never mind I see that should be the sub fan motor

Quick Reply: Wipers won't turn off