Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   HAF Help & Suggestion Center (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/haf-help-suggestion-center-21/)
-   -   Do I need to buy any anti-theft tools for my car? (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/haf-help-suggestion-center-21/do-i-need-buy-any-anti-theft-tools-my-car-3890/)

Miramar 07-05-2006 01:57 PM

Do I need to buy any anti-theft tools for my car?

Hi,
Because of the high crime rate in my neighbourhood, I am thinking about buying a anti-theft tool/system. Is is necessary? What do you guys recommend? What is the reasonable price for it? Thanks a lot and waiting for your reply.

sir_nasty 07-05-2006 02:05 PM

RE: Do I need to buy any anti-theft tools for my car?

this depends a lot on what you want to protect... if you're worried about car theft get the club and a car alarm and possibly a way to lock the tires etc.... Also, removalble faceplate stereo's or just a stock stereo is usually safe... if you drive through your neghiborhood with loud bass you are basically posting a sign that says "I've got cool stuff to steal!" so basically what is the most important thing to protect?

YeuEmMaiMai 07-05-2006 07:07 PM

1998 or newer accords have immobilizder. This will prevent about 99% of the theives from stealing your car. It can still be towed though or if some theives have access to Honda's ECM software they can override the immobilizer (that takes time) and steal it

Using after market stereos = more likely to have car broken into and stuff forcefully ripped out

19Accord97 07-06-2006 03:45 AM

Id try google and see what you can find. Just stay away from the junk alarms and starter kills. I'll be darned because I once found this product that had a device where you swiped a card over it and then could start your car. It worked better than car alarm kill starters because you can easily over ride thouse (though I have one lol) and none of the wires are colored. If I find it, i'll let you know. And like everyone said...it depends, are you worried or car theft or things getting stolen out of your car? If you have an aftermarket radio just take the faceplate off and put it in the glove box or inside with you....to me a few extra seconds of taking it off is worth possibly avoiding it being stolen. Good luck though.

stevephy 07-06-2006 10:18 PM

I'm thinking of having vinyl stickers made for my gas tank that says, "It's got a lock!"

At $3.00, or more, gas is the next thing to get ripped, or sucked out of your car.

I went and got gas the other day and a lady asks me to help her get her gas cap door open.

I look at it, and the first thing I think is, "Looks like someone tried to pry the door open."

I push on the front side so it isn't sticking out, and tell her to push/pull the button/lever to open it, and it opens.

I take a closer look at the whole thing, and sure enough, someone tried to pry it open and steal the gas!

Not sure how many people here would remember the gas shortages of the 70's, but the lockable gas cap became quite vogue...

StevePhy