Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Headers, Intake, & Exhaust (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-12/)
-   -   98 Catback Exhaust (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-12/98-catback-exhaust-52398/)

phantom699 01-14-2013 11:48 PM

98 Catback Exhaust

hey guys, I have a 1998 honda accord ex 2.3l ulev 4dr sedan.

I recently bought a varex muffler, which is a 2.5' inlet and 4' outlet, which is 15' in length. However, I am trying to find a catback exhaust to match. Plan on removing the mid muffler and just having a resonator and piping.

Is there a system out there which is 2.25' to match the stock? which i can weld the muffler onto the back so it wont stick out and w/o any drone? or should i attempt to keep what i have now and just weld it on.

I plan on keeping the sound stock and i dont want the can to stick out the back of the car * aka stock* but i would like decent flow and a good sound when the butteryfly valve is opened wide open.

* i also have a 2.25' aem short ram intake, reason i want to match a 2.25' catback*
* also have a 3' cold air intake which comes in 2 tubes incase i need to make it a short ram.

** money is not a problem either. I would prefer a brand name like megan racing or greeddy etc.. but also want something that would be a semi direct fit and not look like a ricer.

*** last note - my accord is a sleeper. f23a with 4-2-1 headers, sri, jdm dyno tuned, msd ig, upgraded flywheel etc, plan on redoing entire body in carbon fiber over the summer so a nice shine on the exhaust would be perfect

thanks for any feedback

Random Cheese 01-16-2013 07:29 AM

When you put on the 4-2-1 header, did you have any problems with the o2 sensor? I've been considering an 4-2-1 but I'm worried that the ULEV engine controller might not like having the sensor input from only one cylinder.

phantom699 01-21-2013 08:40 PM

I went to Import Tuning in Philly after having them installed, and i did have a check engine light go on as soon as i started but went away after 5 minutes, so im not sure. I do know that the ULEV does not like a 4-2-1 or a 4 to 1 header.. as it removes one of the o2 sensors, but as long as its reading correctly you might luck out

phantom699 01-23-2013 09:26 PM

u can also just reprogram ur ecu to not measure using the o2 sensor before the cat, there for no harm no foul

phantom699 01-24-2013 12:12 AM

Kk so i finally got the varex installed. Just took a straight pipe, went 2.5' so i could bolt the muff w/o welding since its stainless steel. Quiet when closed, and deep loud purrs when open :) no rice at all. I put no resonator on and trashed the mid muffler also, nothing but pipe. Only downside thought... lost some clearance from bending the pipe and it looks like its a foot off the ground hehe. Pulled over for the noise also. Sleeper be done!