Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Headers, Intake, & Exhaust (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-12/)
-   -   aftermarket intake and exhaust (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-12/aftermarket-intake-exhaust-51470/)

redrum 11-22-2012 01:19 AM

aftermarket intake and exhaust

hey guys I was thinking about adding a takeda ram air intake to 09 accord ex-l as well as a greddy rading ti-c dual exhaust. I know this will improve my horsepower but do you guys see a major drop in fuel economy in exchange. thanks in advance

shipo 11-22-2012 07:18 AM

Honda built your engine to be pretty free breathing as it is; the bet is there will be a very minimal power increase up near redline, a commensurate decrease in mid-range torque, and a slight reduction in fuel economy.

redrum 11-22-2012 08:58 AM

i know it will have me increased just about 20-30 horse tops. right? other than that do people just do these mods for sound then?

WheelBrokerAng 11-22-2012 09:15 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Most of the people unless they are real gear heads and horsepower freaks, just do it for the sounds..

You'll never know about that HP increase unless you Dyno it before you do whatever and then after you have exhaust installed and Dyno'd again for results.
By then you've already spent a $1,000 .

If you need Noise and that throaty awesome sound-Buy one of these from someone like me..

WheelBrokerAng :rolleyes:

redrum 11-22-2012 04:00 PM

Are those better mufflers than greddy ti-c and if so how much do you want for two? What brand are they?

shipo 11-22-2012 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by redrum (Post 303021)
i know it will have me increased just about 20-30 horse tops. right? other than that do people just do these mods for sound then?

Twenty to thirty horse power? No chance, maybe five to eight, and as I said before, any such changes will most likely reduce your mid-range torque by about the same amount of time.

WheelBrokerAng 11-23-2012 01:11 AM

Hello Member

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by redrum (Post 303050)
Are those better mufflers than greddy ti-c and if so how much do you want for two? What brand are they?

I shall PM you or straight up e-mail you the prices.
They are Powertech T-304 stainless Steel mufflers..
Super High Quality, Awesome Deep Sound...

Here's another one and It's an adjustable unit..full open or somewhere in between where you like the tone..

WheelBrokerAng :)

Greyghost 12-07-2012 12:49 PM

Aftermarket Intake and Exhaust Mods

If you go to my garage and view the Greyghost you will see some of my mods. As an engineer, I go to great lengths to find the info I need before buying any of these items. Here are the manufacturer dyno figures for the mods I have added to my '09 Accord Coupe EX-L 3.5L V-6 with 6MT:

1.K & N TYPHOON COLD AIR INTAKE (10.23+ HP & 10.31+ FP TORQUE)
2.P2R THROTTLE BODY SPACER AND THERMAL GASKETS (6+ HP & 5+ FPT)
3.GREDDY SPECTRUM ELITE (SE) CAT-BACK EXHAUST SYSTEM (8+ HP, 6+ FPT) Great sounding and even better looking with burnished titanium tips
4.MAGNAFLOW MANIFOLD AND REAR CATALYTIC CONVERTERS (X+ HP, X+ FPT) Have not installed these as yet but as soon as I get my ECU reflashed, will do so. Magnaflow will not give dyno figures but say that these cats have a 40% flow increase, so gotta believe there is a commensurate increase in HP and FPT with a lot less backpressure and a bit more of an exhaust note.
5.JET POWER-FLO MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR (MAF / MAP)
6.JET V-FORCE PLUS PERFORMANCE MODULE (W / MAF SENSOR = 5+ HP & 3+ FPT)
7.JET ENGINE CONTROL UNIT (ECU) UPGRADE (12+ HP & 14+ FPT). RE-FLASH COMPUTER PERFORMANCE PARAMETERS WILL OPTIMIZE ABOVE MODS FOR EVEN MORE HP & FPT

I am keeping a log on my mileage and seat of the pants feel for power and all these things have greatly improved the giddy-up and some slight improvement in mileage. I am taking readings after each mod upgrade and using different octanes to see if there are any graphic improvements. I have noticed very little difference in mid-range power losses. I will eventually wean myself of the ethanol garbage and use 100% gas with its considerable power and mileage advantages not to mention all the bad stuff caused by ethanol (hygroscopic-absorbs water vapor, very corrosive, destroys carburetors, etc.)

After a long and in depth search, I have been unable to find anyone that has built up production headers for the 8th Generation Honda Accord Coupe or Sedan (2008-2012, not sure about 2013 fit) with the 3.5L V-6. This might be due to its being relatively new and not a lot of aftermarket stuff has been developed for the car as yet, most of which I have on my “Grey Ghost”. As well, the integral pre-catalytic converters on the OEM exhaust manifolds may scare the other manufacturers away. Among many other performance mods (see my “Garage” on this website for details) I have installed a high performance MagnaFlow Rear (Main) Catalytic converter on my own vehicle in hopeful preparation for this header upgrade.

However, I have found a company that is willing to produce high performance headers with high flow pre-cats, but he needs 10 orders to make it worthwhile to create the jigs necessary for production to commence. Here are some of the specs:
1. Header Tubes to be built from T-304 Stainless Steel
2. Headers will be “direct fit” to easily replace OEM manifolds with matching flanges and bolt patterns
3. Pre-cats will be customized high flow units with 200 CPI heavy duty metallic substrates with a generous wash of precious metals such as platinum
4. Cost: Approximately $ 650 per set, or for dyno tuned headers approximately $ 800 per set with a percentage down payment to build the headers

If interested in acquiring these headers and to be the first in your town (or state) to have these now non-existent performance upgrades, contact:

Jordan Cherrington
TecExhaust, Inc.
13053 S. Minuteman Dr.
Draper, UT 84020
www.TecExhaust.comwww.Anyclampusa.com

PLEASE REF JIM EXUM

After further investigation of other Accord forums, I have found a source for the J-pipe and pre-cat upgrade or pre-cat delete options:
http://rv6-p.com/accord/8th-gen/v6-j35z2-3.html
Using a stock '09 Accord V-6 with auto tranny the dyno figures are 13.62 HP and 11.73 FPT with the pre-cat and J-Pipe upgrade. The auto tranny prevented a 3rd gear redline pull for the most valid numbers so a 1st to 3rd shift was used. I would have to believe the figures for the 6 speed manual would be even better. As well, there would probably be a considerably larger improvement over these figures if choosing the pre-cat delete option. Some figures from the Acura blog come in at around 40 HP and FPT but with much more noise and odor due to the missing pre-cats.
Here is the link to the Acura forum for more in depth info on these RV6 headers: http://tl.acurazine.com/forums/showt...7#post12616507

Greyghost 02-13-2013 08:02 AM

Exhaust Mods 2009 Accord Coupe V-6 Manual

Hi All:

I have installed the following Intake Mods:

K & N Typhoon Cold Air Intake - Upon installation, I noticed a difference in throttle response and mileage as well as a subtle kick in the pants HP wise, along with a bit more intake sound. Per K & N dyno testing, adds 10+ HP and 10+ FPT

P2R Throttle Body Spacer and Thermal Gaskets - Pretty much as above without any sound differential. Per P2R, adds 6+ HP and 5+ FPT

And the following Exhaust Mods:

Greddy Spectrum Elite (SE) Cat-Back Exhaust System - very nice growl and not as pronounced as the MagnaFlows. Burnished Titanium tips really turn heads on a double-take. Per Greddy dyno adds 8+ HP and 6+ FPT

RV6 Hi-Flow Ceramic Coated Pre-cat Manifolds and extended length J-Pipe which deletes rear cat converter which has no sensors and is only there for the ULEV rating. REALLY adds to the lovely growl emanating from those Greddy cat-backs. Per RV6 dyno adds 14+ HP and 14+ FPT

I have made the following upgrades in the Engine Management System:

Jet Products Hi-Flow Mass Air Flow Sensor (MAF / MAP)

Jet Products V-Force Plus Performance Module - provides mild progamming and LCD read-out of many engine performance parameters including battery charging and gas mileage efficiency. Per Jet dyno figures, Sensor and Performance Module 5+ HP and 3+ FPT

Jet Products Re-flash of OEM Engine Control Unit (ECU / PCM). Per Jet dyno figures using 89 octane minimum 12+ HP and 14+ FPT with unknown additional HP and FPT enhancement by optimizing the other intake and exhaust modifications noted.

I will be doing a dyno run this Friday 2/15/13 using 93 octane 100% gas (no power robbing mileage reducing ethanol garbage) and will post results next week. I will then try and do any tuning tweaks available based on those initial results.

phantom699 02-19-2013 02:35 PM

depending on how you do your exhaust.. you can actually lose hp. luckily for intakes you cant really go wrong whether its a 1-5hp gain. most of ur gains from a cold air though will be on the higher ends of rpms