Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Headers, Intake, & Exhaust (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-12/)
-   -   Cold Air Intake (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-12/cold-air-intake-49328/)

frey_guy04 08-03-2012 10:33 AM

Cold Air Intake

Hey guys, I am looking to add a cold air intake into my 99' v6 honda accord- I was wondering if you have experienced and drawbacks or reasons not to do so, or just reaffirm my reason to change it! If I do this I'm going to install a k&n most likely

frey_guy04 08-03-2012 10:46 AM

Oh, and I have also heard rumors that installing a new air intake allows water to enter your engine. Any truth to this? If so there has to be a way to prevent it

JimBlake 08-03-2012 11:43 AM

Some cold-air intakes run down in front of the wheel arch, and pick up air from a pretty low elevation. So they can suck up some water if you drive through a deep-ish puddle.

When the filter gets soaking wet, it becomes difficult to suck air through it. So to some extent it just chokes off the air and stalls your engine. Some cheapie filters just get soggy-weak and tear open, allowing water to suck in. Water doesn't compress very well in the engine, so sometimes the rods find another way to remove themselves from the crankcase.

Some makers offer a diverter valve that can open up to suck air in from the engine compartment, whenever the air is restricted by a wet filter.

g22cd5 08-03-2012 03:07 PM

yes you can hydrolock your engine. just use a AEM bypass valve. AEM is the only ones who make a bypass valve that works and keeps your CAI a true CAI

RobinsonRicer 08-03-2012 11:36 PM

I have a bypass filter that sits by the battery in my engine bay and a k&n filter behind the bumper. It wasn't too expensive and has been proven to work. However I question if air is being sucked in through that filter and not the K&N...

frey_guy04 08-04-2012 02:02 PM

So i can use a AEM with my K&N correct?

g22cd5 08-05-2012 11:46 AM

yes you can use the AEM bypass vale with your K&N filter

kmak466 09-19-2012 04:10 PM

If you want show car get the aem v2 and as long as your plastic rim sheild thing is still on your car dont worry about water just dont drive into a lake and if you want cheap go to autozone/advanced auto parts/pepboys or whatever u go to for parts and buy one there youll have to maybe cut it or add another one just for some more piping but any cold air intake sounds good on your car i have a 2000 v6 with the j30a1 motor and bought the autozone one for $40something bucks and a quality filter ($30) if you do it right your gonna like it but if you want one made specificly for your car aem is the way to go

r1balla 01-18-2013 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by RobinsonRicer (Post 291716)
I have a bypass filter that sits by the battery in my engine bay and a k&n filter behind the bumper. It wasn't too expensive and has been proven to work. However I question if air is being sucked in through that filter and not the K&N...

mine hydrolocks even when it rains. not driving through puddles or anything...smh

phantom699 01-21-2013 08:44 PM

I live in jersey where it rains/snows on and off, and i have never had a problem with hydro locking, but do not drive threw any deep puddles. As far as CAI compared to SRi, a cold air will get you slightly better mpg and maybe a extra 1hp.. but it takes longer for the air to get to the engine, where as a sri normally has a purr at lower rpms, but loses its benefits after 15minutes.

* i have a 3' cold air that comes in 2 pipes, works great, i can make i either a sri or cai, but i always romp it for the noise, gain maybe 3-5hp? but no benefits as far as gas

* also have a 2.25' sri made by AEM, its quieter and matchs the stock dimensions, so i have increased my mpg even if im WOT.

IMHO, changing ur intake is the easiest thing to do, but the main reason to do so is for the noise, and if u increase your intake size, then you will want to match ur exhaust size, and going more then a .25' up or dow will result normally in a loss of power