Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Headers, Intake, & Exhaust (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-12/)
-   -   exhaust leak (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-12/exhaust-leak-59527/)

bill02364 07-10-2014 10:40 AM

exhaust leak

i have a 2004 accord v6. my exhaust bottomed out and banged a rock on dirt driveway. Now there is a leak on the front header pipe. It seems to be leaking about halfway up to the front of the motor at the union. my questions are. Is there a gasket that I can put in between the union? Do I have to replace the complete header pipe? Does anyone out here have a used one? and. What kind of a nightmare is this job?
Thanks for your help

shipo 07-10-2014 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by bill02364 (Post 347953)
i have a 2004 accord v6. my exhaust bottomed out and banged a rock on dirt driveway. Now there is a leak on the front header pipe. It seems to be leaking about halfway up to the front of the motor at the union. my questions are. Is there a gasket that I can put in between the union? Do I have to replace the complete header pipe? Does anyone out here have a used one? and. What kind of a nightmare is this job?
Thanks for your help

You might want to take your car to a good muffler shop, they might be able to either weld in a patch, or use a clamp on type joint. Both of these options assume the rest of the exhaust plumbing in that area is in decent shape.

JimBlake 07-10-2014 07:14 PM

There are gaskets at the bolted flanges. But check for more damage from the rock. Dented pipe? Some bracket pulled out of place? How bad is the corrosion?

bill02364 07-11-2014 01:06 PM

It is leaking from the flange. when I crawled under and sprayed PB blaster on the studs I noticed there arnt any nuts on the studs. I cant really see if it is bolted from the top down. I bought a metal gasket for the flange. I may try to thread on some nuts and crank it tight and see if that helps. I am a little baffled by it not having any nuts on the studs maybe they rusted away??
The rest of the exhaust is in great shape. it was quiet until I bottomed out on the rock. there is a little dent and a scrape but no leak on that spot.

bill02364 07-11-2014 03:46 PM

All set. I first threaded on (3) 13mm nuts on the studs and tightened them down. Still no change. I ended up taking out the passengers side electric fan and the radiator over flow. This let me access the 4 nuts on the Cat converter. It came off with no trouble. I left both 02 sensors connected. I had just enough room to move the cat out of the way and access the old gasket. The gasket is metal and was crushed. I took a small pick and was able to get it out in pieces. I put a bead of copper gasket sealant on both sides of the new gasket and put it in. I also put a bead on both sides of the gasket on the top of the Cat that bolts to the exhaust manifold. (im not sure if I really needed the copper sealant but what the hell) I snugged the top and put the (3) 13mm nuts on the studs of the flange and tightened them down. I fired it up real quick and it is nice and quiet. I will let the sealant set up over night. Whole thing took about 1-1/2 hours.