Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Headers, Intake, & Exhaust (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-12/)
-   -   header wrap?? (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-12/header-wrap-18267/)

BuntinBoy9 05-04-2008 01:18 PM

header wrap??

hey i have a stainless steel header and was wondering if i should wrap it.... i have a aem sri and the extra heat is prolly killen the inside temp.... should i wrap my header?????

live2rice 05-04-2008 01:43 PM

RE: header wrap??

I would just to keep the temp in the engine bay down as much as possible

RTexasF 05-04-2008 01:44 PM

DC Sports says warranty if void is header(s) are wrapped so be careful.

BuntinBoy9 05-04-2008 04:02 PM

ok ya i agree with live2rice but rtexasf has a good point i had heard that wrapping them can sometimes melt the header itself...(nascar cars did that when the where wrapped) but what else can i do to keep my engine temps down... ceramic might to expensive but this summer i was thinking bout getting a carbon fiber hood so should i go with a vented one and if i do sholud i build adapters for the winter so my engine doesnt get snow and stuff on it or should it be fine

live2rice 05-04-2008 04:48 PM

ORIGINAL: BuntinBoy9

ok ya i agree with live2rice but rtexasf has a good point i had heard that wrapping them can sometimes melt the header itself...(nascar cars did that when the where wrapped) but what else can i do to keep my engine temps down... ceramic might to expensive but this summer i was thinking bout getting a carbon fiber hood so should i go with a vented one and if i do sholud i build adapters for the winter so my engine doesnt get snow and stuff on it or should it be fine
I highly doubt it will get hot enough to melt your headers. And I heard that you want to keep carbon fiber away from heat so I would want to wrap them if i had a CF hood. but idk how reliable the source i heard that from is

also i would switch back to stock hood in the winter

19Accord97 05-04-2008 05:34 PM

I am pretty sure header wraps cause SS headers to crack. Your SS headers should actually run cooler, b/c they do not have the same heat sink effect as your oem manifold. There is a reason why headers dont come w/ heat shields. They cool down waaaay more quickly than the stock one.

I had an ss header and had no problems w/ heat. I put the oem manifold on and still havent put the heat shield on. No problems.

If anything, you can buy a wrap for your intake.

BlkCurrantKord 05-05-2008 12:38 AM

You can have your SS header ceramic coated or even powder coated with a ceramic type material.

00AccordLX5spd 05-05-2008 09:36 AM

ORIGINAL: 19Accord97

I am pretty sure header wraps cause SS headers to crack. Your SS headers should actually run cooler, b/c they do not have the same heat sink effect as your oem manifold. There is a reason why headers dont come w/ heat shields. They cool down waaaay more quickly than the stock one.

I had an ss header and had no problems w/ heat. I put the oem manifold on and still havent put the heat shield on. No problems.

If anything, you can buy a wrap for your intake.
I agree. Your ss header probably runs cooler than your stock manifold did. I wouldn't wory about wrapping anything.

falkore24 05-05-2008 09:40 AM

Fiberglass deteriorates over time and looks like cr@p when it falls apart. If you do want to wrap them, I'd get the jacket type of cover instead of the wrap. IMO, it's not worth it.

KevinAccord 05-05-2008 02:33 PM

hey! don't trash the fiber glass wrap! i have my down pipe wrap in that! i did my downpipe w/ a thick tube...it looks better wraped... believe me, my welding skills are ok...but not in an artistic manner