Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Headers, Intake, & Exhaust (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-12/)
-   -   My Somewhat custom Intake (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-12/my-somewhat-custom-intake-56187/)

JOSHENATOR 08-11-2013 02:33 PM

My Somewhat custom Intake

10 Attachment(s)
Just thought I would share my intake that i bought and customized a little bit. Its in a 6thGen f23a1. Started by buying an AEM cold air (actually more of a short ram) intake and installing it. It made some good noise but on hot days you could feel the power loss from sucking in all the hot air in the engine bay. So i rerouted it, bought some 2.5 inch aluminum piping and a silicone connector and moved closer to the battery and over the original intake resonator hole so it could grab some cold air. had to do some cutting of the piping but in the end i got it all working and end up with a nice little customized mod that made an even better noise.

Recently i thought about trying to move it even closer to the cutout hole form the old intake and have it sit lower and straighter. The place where i buy my connectors and piping was closed since its sunday and i just really wanted to try it out and see. I end up being very cost effective i bought some more hose clamps and grabbed my old stock airbox and cut some of the piping off that. I used the end of the pipe where it actually connect to the top of the air box and cut a few inches back on a 45 degree angle (roughly 45 degrees ahaha) and then cut off a piece of extra aluminum piping i had left over from the previous rerouting job. I connected the rubber stock air intake piping to the already existing intake and then using the small aluminum cut off i connect the cone filter to the rubber stock intake pipe and tightened down some hose clamps and ended with a finished product that looks pretty cool and sounds great.

Anyways that is my slightly customized intake , it makes a great sound especially when hitting v-tec. Curious to hear what you all think of it and would love to hear about anyone else intakes and hopfully gave some people some ideas of how to route an intake or something along those lines haha.

JimBlake 08-12-2013 03:50 PM

Maybe you could take some sheet aluminum & make a kind of "wall" to separate that area from the rest of the engine compartment.

JOSHENATOR 08-12-2013 05:51 PM

Ya i was thinking of doing that, i am just hoping my brother can get some from his work, cause i have no idea where to buy that. Thanks for the tip though

kayweb 08-16-2013 04:19 AM

2.5" tubing should fit down into the fender well next to the battery on the left there. That's how mine routes.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8129/8...a3d8be34_b.jpg

hondafreak91c 08-16-2013 07:37 PM

For the next step, you into making a sealed box, with cold/ram air ducting. Such as this:

DIY aluminum cold air box,air duct,intake - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra

JOSHENATOR 09-30-2013 06:09 PM

10 Attachment(s)
Hey so I took some of your guys suggestions and did some add-ons and revises and have just recently finished my cai, would like to thank you all for your advise it helped alot and I could not be happier with the finished product.
Attachment 11881 Attachment 11882
Attachment 11883 Attachment 11884
Attachment 11880

JOSHENATOR 09-30-2013 06:17 PM

oh and heres a video i made of how the car sounds and some 0-60 times after the cold air was installed

lefty310 11-05-2013 05:32 PM

Congratulations on the success. I actually have plans to do what you did in the final step to my mustang. The CAI it has runs very similar to this vtec on the same side and comes out through the fender facing down in front of the wheel. I have plans to add an elbow and point it forward and add some metal plates from inside the front bumper to guide/funnel more air from the bottom front of the car to the filter.

You sir have just shown me how easy my job will be after seeing everything you did. From my understanding a longer intake pipe can potential increase torque so.. hope you saw or should i say felt some gains there.

JOSHENATOR 12-02-2013 07:17 PM

i felt some gains, the pick up was alot quicker. Unfortunately cause winter is coming or is here actually and the rain i had to reroute back into my engine bay. If you have to do the same, i just used the pipe that was after the filter to scoop air up and throw it right up into the engine bay and on the filter. I also sectioned off that whole area so it is protected from any motor heat. Good luck on the mustang hope all goes well.

lefty310 12-03-2013 10:41 PM

Thanks I appreciate that. It's good to see you noticed some power gains.
And it's good your playing it safe for the rain. I once almost hydro locked my stang. Reason is it doesn't have a splash guard or whatever it's called and the tire would splash water directly unto the filter. Car started stumbling and blowing white smoke. luckily i always carry around a spare filter and was able to get to point A on time.

Anyways with that said even if you do have the guard and water splashes up in there or just flies in there freely that can get disastrous fast.

-On a side note, whenever i get this job done on my stang ill be sure to revive this thread with my pics of what i did just for the sake of this being something custom and unique.