Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your Accord breathe better here.

stock resonator chamber

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 06:27 PM
Default stock resonator chamber

so i bought a k&n replacement panel air filter for my l4 04 accord. now im kind of wishing i bought a cai; then again the wife doesnt want a lot of mods done because of cost, and because of selling it in the future.

anywho, i was investigating this nasty restrictive intake honda put in my car. if any, how much would i gain from removing the "resonator chamber" and leaving just the stock tube and cleaner (w/ k&n).

example of this resonator chamber, below.

Old 04-15-2007, 07:28 PM
Default RE: stock resonator chamber

It's not worth the effort in my opinion. Also there are baffles built into it tokeep water out. I suggest you buy a short ram, remove the box the filter sits in now (save everything) but leave the resonator alone. You'll enjoy a bit more power, a nice sound, and you can convert it back to stock anytime you want.

Old 04-15-2007, 08:14 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I took it out...but it kinda rumbles/rattles around at idle when I'm in D. A minor annoyance I suppose. The car still thinks to pull air from where the resonator used to be.

Old 04-18-2007, 10:58 AM

I did this and I think it is worthwhile, I noticed a nice sound improvement (not annoying loud, some would say you cant notice anything)and a bit of an increase in acceleration. I actully cut the top tube off the resonator and used the rubber tube that connects it to the air box and some 4" pipe clamps and it pulls air from where an aftermarket CAI would in front of the wheels down in the front bumper. Only problem with this is as stated you could pull up some water, but that is very unlikely unless you are off roading in a lake.

I will be upgrading to a V2 at some point but wanted to do this to see if there was any noticable difference and there was. Too much restriction on the stock air intake.

Old 04-18-2007, 01:27 PM
Almost A Senior Member

All that work for some minor gains, just get what you intended to get and you will get the performance you want. When I was younger I used to do things the cheap way and it always bit me in the ***, as of course with age if you do things right the first time you won't have any problems.....

Old 04-18-2007, 03:12 PM

ORIGINAL: otsb708

All that work for some minor gains, just get what you intended to get and you will get the performance you want. When I was younger I used to do things the cheap way and it always bit me in the ***, as of course with age if you do things right the first time you won't have any problems.....
whats so cheap about it? Allhe is doing is removing the stock resonator, something you would need to do to put on a CAI anyway. Even if you dont put in a CAI, itremoves a lot of the restrictive air flow to the engine, that is a good thing. Yeah it may not be a V2 but for someone who wants to see if it makes any difference why not, it isnt going to hurt anything, it will only make your car louder and that is a very relative term.

There is nothing cheap about what I did either, i didnt jerry rig up some CAI in place of the stock air box. I am jsut simply removing components one at a time. I wanted to see if there was anything noticable from just removing the resonator, So I added in a pipe to pull the air from a bit lower like a true CAI would, so what? Now I have a base line to compare what a stock set up with resonator is like, to a stock setup without resonator, then finally to aV2 setup. Now when someone asks what If I do this (just like the OP did) I actually have useful comparisons from what I did to be able to supple to someone.

Old 04-18-2007, 05:15 PM

my excuse for removing it..... the thing weighs like 10 pounds.... are you going to complain about making your car 10 pounds lighter?

Old 04-18-2007, 08:20 PM

No....the resonator is like 4-5 lbs. It's just plastic. Or at least it just felt like 4-5 lbs.

Old 04-18-2007, 08:28 PM
Almost A Senior Member

ORIGINAL: 06 AV6 06MT

ORIGINAL: otsb708

whats so cheap about it? Allhe is doing is removing the stock resonator, something you would need to do to put on a CAI anyway. Even if you dont put in a CAI, itremoves a lot of the restrictive air flow to the engine, that is a good thing. Yeah it may not be a V2 but for someone who wants to see if it makes any difference why not, it isnt going to hurt anything, it will only make your car louder and that is a very relative term.

There is nothing cheap about what I did either, i didnt jerry rig up some CAI in place of the stock air box. I am jsut simply removing components one at a time. I wanted to see if there was anything noticable from just removing the resonator, So I added in a pipe to pull the air from a bit lower like a true CAI would, so what? Now I have a base line to compare what a stock set up with resonator is like, to a stock setup without resonator, then finally to aV2 setup. Now when someone asks what If I do this (just like the OP did) I actually have useful comparisons from what I did to be able to supple to someone.
Besides everything else, why would you want to take apart the wheelwell and then have to put everything back together again, unless you have ample amounts of time on your hands. That would get annoying. It just sounds like a waste of time to me. The stock airbox isn't going to be anywhere near the gains you would have with ANY CAI or even an SRI. It is too restrictive no matter how much you cut out of it. Once again, get the right part in the first place and you will be happier in the end.

Old 04-18-2007, 09:44 PM

eh, the box with all of it was more then 10 pounds lol minor technicality ^_^

and dont complain about too much time when working on a car, if you cant justify taking the time to fully remove something that you most likely are never going to use again, dont bother taking the time to do much of anything else with a car..... cause you know..... it would be too much of a waste of time

Quick Reply: stock resonator chamber