Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Headers, Intake, & Exhaust (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-12/)
-   -   Quick and easy exhaust question (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-12/quick-easy-exhaust-question-59801/)

Joyce.Tyler541 08-19-2014 10:50 PM

Quick and easy exhaust question

1995 Honda Accord LX

Just bought an exhaust kit off ebay. How many times have you heard that? Lol! I only bought it for the piping from the header up until the muffler. Im trashing the muffler and getting a different one because just by the looks of that thing its trash. I got a new system because my downpipe has a nice curb dent in it and there is a leak that Midas "fixed" a few years ago that has returned from the dead.

So I want to get a decent muffler that has a 2.5 inch inlet. I dont want anything crazy loud and ricey. Just because I went the cheap route doesnt mean Im a ricer! I was looking at these magnaflow mufflers at O'reillys for like 90$ that looked pretty nice. I want a deeper sound and not super loud either. I also dont want to sacrifice MPG. I dont care so much about performance. This thing has 284k. Im just trying to make it last.

Any help?
Thanks guys!

Gusnova 08-20-2014 08:54 PM

Magnaflow is what you need. Oval body shape muffler/dual outlet. Remember the smaller the muffler, the louder itll be. The larger the muffler the opposite(any brand). I have the 14" muffler in both of my rides, 98 accord 4 cyl. & 03 CR-V, they boyh have a deep sound, not loud, but its like you feel the sound (bassy).

Joyce.Tyler541 08-21-2014 10:00 AM

Thank you for the reply. I looked at some magnaflow mufflers at my lap store and they only cost like $100 which is something that I can swing.

So a few days ago I noticed that when my car idles it idles slightly rough. Almost like it slightly misfires or something. I'm wondering if this could be because of my exhaust leak? I'm putting my new system in on Saturday so hopefully that helps. I'm sure the bent piping and hole isn't helping the way my engine runs at all.

WheelBrokerAng 02-09-2015 12:52 AM

So Joyce, did you ever get your car exhaust set up? and if you did-what does it look like and how does it sound?

WheelBrokerAng :)

Joyce.Tyler541 02-09-2015 03:04 PM

Hey guys,

got your reply in my email. It was like a blast from the past!

Forgot to reply because ive been so caught up in school and work.

So I have had the exhaust installed for a few months now and here's the low-down:

-Installed the eBay header-back system with little problems. The header to down pipe gasket blew for some reason and apparently you cant buy them anywhere. So I had two options: either cut my own out of metal gasket sheeting; or use the hard exhaust gasket maker. I used the gasket maker as it was way easier and Ive heard unreliable things about cutting your own gasket. Other than that, all welds have held great. No leaks as far as I can see. Brackets are still intact.

-The muffler is actually a funny story. I went to the auto parts store all excited to buy a muffler and wasn't really paying attention to WHAT I was buying, just the size of the inlet/outlet. Long story short I bought a flowmaster 40 serious and got a good laugh out of my step dad who was helping me at the time.

So needless to say I brought that muffler back, and bought a magnaflow. I also bought this black resonator tip that was the bolt-on style. Cost about $100 for the muffler and tip.

After ripping the crappy ebay muffler off, my car sounds better than any 4cyl honda I've ever heard around here.

For being a cheap build, I am very happy with it. Months later it hasn't given me any problems. No vibrations. Nothing.

The sound is a very low rumble. The previous muffler on there was extremely whiney and sounded like someone put nuts and bolts in it. This one is loud but sounds like a really good loud. It surprised me how good it sounds for being a 4cyl

I have recommended this build to quite a few people now since we are all cheapskates that want good sound.

I warn you - unless you want to annoy the whole city - DONT use the ebay muffler

I actually had an older man follow me a few blocks the other day and came up to my car asking me to rev my engine for his 2 year old grandson. I guess his grandson hasnt stopped talking about the Honda with the loud exhaust for a month now. Haha!

hondafreak91c 03-03-2015 01:51 AM

Magnaflow is one of the few mufflers out there that sound very good on the 2.2L Honda engines. Good choice.

mishakol129 05-16-2015 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by hondafreak91c (Post 356930)
Magnaflow is one of the few mufflers out there that sound very good on the 2.2L Honda engines. Good choice.

I have a eBay cat-back on my 2.2 Accord that I hacked up and put a 20" Magnaflow resonator on and a different muffler. It sounds very good way way better than the eBay cat back. I would recommend someone do that and save 100 bucks. The piping on the ebay stuff is fine its just the resonator and the muffler that is terrible. Gives it that aweful bumble bee sound.

Prospector 05-17-2015 09:58 AM

Joyce,
I've used Magnaflow (always a good choice) in the past on my 2006 Magnum, I'm wondering though, why did your step-dad have a laugh about using the Flowmaster? While it is true that some adapting must be done to mount a 40 Series on a '95 Accord, it can be done.